| Chapter 22 |

Never Forget You, by Zara Larson & MNEK

| Previously on Chapter 21 |

The second our lips touched, reality slammed into me, and I pulled back, staring at him in horror. He looked equally stunned. What did I just do? How could I have been so reckless? Father would—my blood turned cold. Father. How would he react?

I let go of him, my hands trembling. "I'm sorry," I said, my voice shaky.

"No, it's not your fault." He wouldn't meet my eyes. "I shouldn't have—"

"Natsu, Lucy, are you two coming?" Levy shouted, her voice growing louder. "Erza's growing impatient!"

Fear seized me. Levy couldn't see us—no one could. It would be a disaster if someone did, so we whirled around and pretended nothing happened, walking out of the water with at least three feet between us. It had never been more silent or awkward than this. The scene replayed in my head and my cheeks heated up. How could I have be so stupid?

He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. I wanted to tell him it was better this way, with a distance between us. Just as friends, nothing more, nothing less. But I didn't think I could even look at him again.

Although it was only for a second—a mere second—we both knew there was no turning back. The feelings were already there. It was now just a matter of time.

| Chapter 22 |

"Did anything happen between you two?" Levy asked, as she plopped onto her bed.

Lucy froze. "No."

"Are you sure?" Erza asked. "You both were very quiet in the car."

"I'm sure!" she said, a little too quickly. She groaned when the two shared a sly glance.

Levy giggled. "Are you sure nothing happened? Your face is red, Lucy."

She reached up and a burning cheek greeted her fingertips. A hole in the ground would be a nice place to hide. "Okay, I'm done. I'm out." She got up and walked outside to the balcony. They followed her.

"Did you know that the boys' bedroom is directly below us?" Erza asked.

"So what if I shouted out..." Levy trailed off, smirking.

Lucy narrowed her eyes. "Don't you dare."

"Lu's in looooooo—!" Lucy clamped a hand around Levy's mouth, her heart pounding in her chest. Making a fool of herself on stage seemed nothing compared to how mortified she was feeling.

"Shut it, Lev!" she hissed.

"Is everything okay up there?" a familiar voice asked. Her heart gave a leap. Could this get any worse?

"Do something, Erza!" Lucy said, keeping a firm hand around Levy's mouth.

"It's all yours."

She groaned. "Please?"

"Sorry," she said. Lucy let go of Levy and leaned over the railing, parting her lips to speak. Her mouth went dry as she met his gaze.