Goodbyes

Izaya POV

He hadn't left my side. It was making me nervous as my brain kept over thinking his voice, movement, and way he was talking to me. I hated being confused. I was the damn info broker and he was the only person I couldn't figure out. He was the only human that I couldn't predict. Maybe that's why I kept coming back to Ikebukuro. I of course could predict that he would get angry and try to kill me, but after that was over I stayed on top of rooftops watching him. He was so unpredictable, and I wanted to figure him out. He saved me. Why? He was supposed to hate me. I had given up on this discusting human filled world. Those pathetic humans couldn't even see it.

Shizuo POV

I hadn't moved once from the flea's side and had no intention to start. Shinra had told me he would be okay, and I really wanted to believe him. But until he was back to teasing me or messing up people's lives I couldn't shake my worry. I stared down at our hands that were intertwined. Silence filled the room. I hadn't noticed that his crimson eyes were open, looking at me until I looked up to him.

"Flea!?" I exclaimed.

"Hey Shizu-chan." He croaked, his voice rough and dry. I let out a sigh of relief as I smiled happily.

"You're okay." I whispered. "You're going to be okay."

"Yeah. I am." Suddenly his voice turned sour, bitter almost towards me. I looked at him with confusion. "Why? Why the hell would you try to save me Shizu-chan? Why? I didn't wa-" He was cut off by his own fit of coughing and I stood getting him some water and coming back. I helped him sit up, much to his resistance and let him drink some water before setting him down and looking at him once more from my chair. "Like that. Why would you do that? You should want me to be in pain. You should want me to die. So why did you save me you stupid protozoan." His voice sounded much smoother but angrier.

"I'm not exactly sure Flea. Maybe it's because the only person that can kill you is me." I replied quietly. I didn't know exactly what was wrong with me, but I was starting to figure it out and I didn't really like the answer. But my flea was stressed so I gave him an answer that would calm him for the time being. He relaxed back onto the bed staring at the ceiling with an restless expression.

"I was ready to leave this world Shizu-chan. You're supposed to be my enemy. How did you switch personalities so quickly?" He asked glancing towards me. I shuffled my feet, unsure and trying to find a suitable answer.

"Why would you say I switched personalities?" I asked.

"You went from angry demon to soft Shizu teddy bear in like two days." He answered huffing in annoyance. I laughed at his frustrated expression, he had said that so deadpanned. He looked at me in confusion and I only laughed harder.

Izaya POV

"You went from angry demon to soft Shizu teddy bear in like two days." I retorted, huffing in annoyance. Suddenly, Shizu-chan started laughing. It wasn't an angry laugh, or a laugh to mask something, but a sweet joy - filled laugh that hung in the air beautifully. I had never heard him laugh before. I hadn't, but now that I had, I longed to hear it again. Shizuo was chuckling and wiping tears from his eyes before he completely stopped laughing at all and looked at me with a bright smile. I watched him, memorizing every small detail I could. My heart grew heavy at my own emotions. My face fell as I turned away from Shizu-chan and closed my eyes imagining that picture once more.

"Hey? Iza-" He started but I quickly interrupted.

"No. Go away Shizu-chan. You shouldn't have saved me." I whispered sadly.

"Izaya please. Don't say that." He replied sadness plaguing his voice. I huffed in response before answering.

"I thought I said to go away." I growled softly.