| Chapter 2 ~ Houston, We Have a Problem |

Chapter Two

Houston, We Have a Problem

*First Person Point of View ~ Perseus*

The time for the council meeting approached quickly, and before I knew it, it was December 21st.

Snow drifted down through the thick evergreen branches of the trees surrounding our camp. As I walked, I heard the distinct crunch of snow under my boots and grinned. I loved snow and now that I was a guardian, I couldn't feel temperature, so I could enjoy the fluffy whiteness of the ice crystals all I wanted without any discomfort whatsoever.

Some of the younger hunters were throwing snowballs, and I had to duck a few times to avoid the frozen projectiles. Their archery sure helped with their aim. I didn't think it would transfer to snowball fights, but... you learn something new every day!

A bright flash of lightning suddenly lit up the sky.

"That's our cue!" I called to the hunters, just as Artemis walked out of her tent. She glared at me, her expression colder than the icicles hanging from the trees.

The hunters all gathered around, grabbing hands as we waited or Artemis to transport us to Olympus.

A quick flash, the world folded in on itself and we were there. A few of the newer hunters gasped and gagged, leaning over and grabbing their stomachs. I quickly made my way over to each of them, rubbing their backs soothingly.

"There, there," I hushed. "It's always like that the first time."

I looked over at Thalia who was comforting Trisha, whom had thrown up. Trisha's face had turned a pale greenish-white, and Thalia was wiping her face with a silver handkerchief, rubbing small circles on her back.

"Is everyone good?" I asked.

I was met with multiple nods.

"Good," I mumbled under my breath. "This way!" I called, pointing in the direction of the gods' temples. The hunters would be staying there while Artemis and I attended the meeting. "I will see you there, milady?" I asked.

My answer was another glare. She narrowed her eyes, achieving a perfect "ten" on the scale of oh-my-gods-she's-going-to-kill-me, and then she disappeared without so much as a word.

I sighed, still wondering why she'd gone so cold towards me. How did she expect me to do my job as her guardian if she hated every second we were within ten feet of each other? A hand touched my shoulder, and I looked up suddenly, seeing Thalia there. She had Trisha splayed out over her back, still looking sick.

"Let's go," I said quietly to her.

She nodded.

The hunters were at Artemis's temple in no time and wished me good luck before retreating into the depths of the grand silver building. I smiled as the large, gleaming silver french doors slammed shut, leaving me outside.

I followed the polished golden pathway up to the very peak of Olympus, admiring the decorations for the holidays. I briefly wondered if the Greek gods even celebrated Christmas, but quickly brushed the thought to the back of my mind, knowing that I would only give myself a headache.

Instead, I focused on how the cold wind threw itself against me, seeping through my clothing, even though I was dressed warmly. It was colder than down below - obviously. I was surprised by the cold, though, because I'd thought Olympus had special protection magic on it, which was why the air wasn't as thin as it should be. I guess even the gods got cold during the winter.