| Chapter 3 || Gone |

Chapter Three

Gone

*First Person Point of View ~ Perseus*

I returned to Artemis' temple later that night after speaking with Zeus. When I got there, everything was strangely quiet, so I proceeded with caution. I pushed aside the silver silk curtains that hung from the ceiling in tendrils of liquid moonlight.

Nothing seemed out of place. The hallways were the same as I remembered them. The high ceilings arched over my head held up by steady, polished silver columns. Each column was carved with beautiful designs, each depicting one of Artemis' hunts. They all ended in success, but I doubted that there was anything that Artemis couldn't hunt down.

The floors reflected my image so clearly as I walked, that it seemed like I was walking through a hall of mirrors, and the only thing that was keeping me afloat were the feet of my reflection that I contacted with every step.

I approached the end of the long hallway, slowing my steps as I neared the final columns before the hall opened into a grand living space. I peeked around the corner, seeing the u-shaped silver couch in the center of the room, wrapped around the glass table On the table sat a copy of today's newspaper, a few empty glasses, and a silver bow, along with a half-empty quiver of arrows. This was all normal, of course, but my eyes were immediately drawn to the only thing of the table that seemed out of place. An envelope.

I picked it up, briefly admiring the paper, which was pressed with dried pine needles and carried the scent of the forest. On the front, my name was scrawled. A small part of my mind - the part that still told me I had ADHD, pondered if the writing was elegantly messy, or messily elegant, but I quickly pushed the thought aside as I flipped over the envelope and opened it.

Perseus,

If you are reading this, then you have returned from meeting with my father. If that is the case, then you will have noticed that we are no longer inhabiting my temple. Teleport to our location at once.

Artemis

Okay, that explains where they are. I closed my eyes, folding the letter once again and replacing it into the envelope. Focusing on Artemis, I felt a connection being made in the depths of my mind, and an image appeared, blocking out the darkness.

I saw the hunters setting up camp. The angle of my sight moved to look at a map, which was in my hands. Except, they weren't my hands. They were Artemis' hands. On the map, I saw images of monsters moving across the thick parchment. I saw a small icon of a bow and arrow, signifying where the hunters were.

I smiled and felt a slight tingle run through my body as I teleported to the hunters' location.

Opening my eyes, I was greeted with the sight of the hunters. None had noticed my arrival, as I usually turned up unexpectedly whenever Artemis decided to leave me behind and let me find them.

"Perseus. I see you got my message."

I turned, seeing Artemis standing behind me. Under one of her arms was a rolled up piece of parchment - obviously the map she'd been using, and in her other hand was her wooden bow. Over the same shoulder, her quiver hung, full of silver-tipped arrows.

"Yes, of course, Lady Artemis. I only regret not being here sooner. The conversation with your father took longer than expected," I replied, bowing deeply.

"Fret not, We had no use of you during that time anyways. Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to the archery range to practice." She then pushed me aside, walking directly towards where the hunters had set up three targets and had roped off the safety boundaries. A few of the newer hunters were already there, practicing while the older ones finished up their chores.