| Chapter 13 || The Hero Doth Return |

Chapter Thirteen

The Hero Doth Return

*First Person Point of View ~ Perseus*

The journey to New York was mostly uneventful. Well, if you count three hellhound attacks, a hungry cyclops, and a stray doughnut-loving hydra "uneventful".

I'd run the first five miles before a dark mass burst from the shadows to my left, tackling me full force. I rolled, scraps and bruises already forming on my skin by the time the hound and I came to a stop.

It landed on top of me, its damp, matted fur brushing over my arms and chest as it breathed heavily, its putrid breath making me gag. Its body smelled heavily of wet-dog mixed with death, like the rotting corpse of an animal after a storm.

I stared up into the gaping maw of the beast, seeing its massive tongue twitching in anticipation of my demigod flavour. Its teeth were yellow and rotten, with bits of bone and blood filling the gaps.

I pushed against the creature's chest with my full strength and thanked the Great One for all of the strength training he'd forced upon me as the beast went flying.

It the moment that it was regaining its senses, I was able to grab a weapon - a stick was the sharpest object near me - and stabbed the beast in the chest. It coughed, choking as blood flooded its lungs before it burst into dust.

That was only the first encounter, and I was already covered in monster guts... well... dust. The next two weren't fun either, and neither were the two after that. I hadn't even been able to kill the hydra, but at least it left with the same six heads it arrived with.

Then, I'd found her. She'd been lying face down in the dirt when I'd stumbled upon her. I thanked the gods that she was still alive. It had been so long since I'd seen her, and I'd left her in terrible shape.

I fell to my knees in front of Thalia Grace, rolling her over and pressed my head down to her chest, praying silently for a heartbeat. It was there, but it was faint. She needed immediate medical attention.

I scooped her up, groaning slightly as her weight pressed down on my back as I adjusted her. I moved her head so that it lolled to one side over my right shoulder, her arms curled limply around my neck.

The first few steps were stuttered, and I nearly fell once or twice trying to balance her just right, but eventually, I was walking. Thalia was safely stowed on my back, for now.

By the time I was on the outskirts of the city, I must've looked like a monster myself. I was covered head to toe in golden dust. I was splattered with blood from broth my own cuts and the brief moments between the monsters' deaths and demise. My hair was wild and the look in my eyes couldn't have been much better. Anyone who looked upon me would surely flee with their tails between their legs.

I had a slight limp as I stumbled past the first building. Pedestrians stopped to stare at me, even the ones of their phone looked up and gaped. Even a few people who were driving by slowed down slightly to gawk.

I ignored them the best I could, which was easy as the bystanders parted in front of me like the Red Sea. It seemed that no one wanted to touch me. I didn't know what they saw - because it definitely wasn't monster dust - but whatever they saw they didn't want to get it on themselves. And yes, I know the story of Moses even though I'm a demigod. It's pretty hard to not know about.

Without having to jostle my way through the crowd, I made it to the Empire State building in half the time it would usually take. That was a plus.

I stepped through the doors and into the air-conditioned lobby, and it felt like I'd stepped into another world. I was greeted by a rush of cool air, which made me shiver a little, and I felt the hairs along my body rise to counter the cold.