| Chapter 4 || Contemplating |

Chapter 4

Contemplating

*First Person Point of View ~ Perseus*

I am a terrible guardian.

That was the first thought that came to my mind as I woke up in a cold, dark cell, staring at Thalia, who was in chains, right in front of me.

I didn't care about myself, even though my wrists were being constantly chafed by the tight metal manacles, and my left leg was twisted in an awkward position. I didn't care that my back and leg both gave me the sensation of constant burning and made me unwilling to move, lest the pain become worse. I didn't care that my stomach clenched and writhed painfully in my body, begging both silently and vocally for food.

No.

I only cared for Thalia, who I feared was feeling similar pain to mine. I only cared that she'd been captured and held against her will by terrible monsters - our enemies. I only cared that a hunter had been taken, and that very thought drove fear through my very core. What if the others had been taken as well? Was Artemis sitting in one of these cells right now, or was she safe and secure back at her camp, not even missing me?

I knew she'd miss Thalia, and she'd have every Olympian looking for her lieutenant. Last year, she'd probably do the same for me, but now, I wasn't so sure.

I suddenly heard a groan, and Thalia's voice cut through the terrible silence. "Wh-what happened?"

She looked up, and her eyes widened when they saw me. "Percy? What's going on? Where are we?" she asked.

Her usually strong voice was shaky with hunger and pain. The very sound of her pain made my heart clench. I shut my eyes, hoping to block out the world, leaving only me and my pain. I shook my head. I couldn't stand feeling so selfish.

Opening my eyes again, I looked at Thalia. Her desperate, stormy blue eyes met my sea green. Her eye shadow was smeared and usually styled spiky black hair was spikier, in a messier way.

"I don't know, Thalia, but I promise you, I will get you out of here," I vowed. "Even if it means I can't go with you."

Thalia's face didn't change, but I could almost feel her entire persona turn angry. Suddenly, she snapped, yelling at me. "No, Percy! If one of us is getting out, the other one is! Ever since you freed me from my tree, we've been friends, and I damned well won't let you throw away your second chance to save me!"

I sighed. I expected this reaction from her. How had I dealt with her stubbornness this long? I briefly wondered that, but pushed the thought to the back of my mind, cursing my ADHD, which was one of the only things that I still had to remind me of who I once was.

"I know, Thalia. We've been friends for a long time, but if I see the chance to get you out of here and back to the others, I'm going to take it."

Thalia glared at me. Like I'd said once before, her glare was a perfect ten, but without the extra intensity of her dark eye shadow, it dropped to a high eight, just because of the smudges on her face.

"Perseus whatever-your-middle-name-is Jackson! Think straight! What would be the use of getting me out without you! You're the guardian of the hunters! Even if I do get out, without you, who's to say that we'd stay free? Who's to say that they won't be able to catch us again. Artemis and the others may not admit it - and I sure as Hades don't want to - but we're not invincible. Against these new enemies, we're nothing. Kronos, Gaea, the Giants, Télionix? They're more powerful than any single one of us. That's why we have to stay together. We have to fight together. You may not realize it, Percy, but you are a part of 'us'. You are needed."

My breath caught in my throat, right next to the words I had prepared for her. What could I say after that? I swallowed thickly around the lump that had gathered in the back of my throat, my head throbbing painfully. My heart constricted.

"Achilles," I said simply.

Thalia was taken aback. So much so that she sat up straight, only resulting in her hitting her head against the grimy stone wall that she was chained to. "What?" she asked, the word half merging with the cry of pain that followed the forming bruise.

"I never told you my middle name. It's Achilles. I guess it fits, right?" I gave a light chuckle, hoping to raise her spirits.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

"Sorry Kelp Head. Normally, I'd find that funny, but not now."

I nodded but remained silent. I understood. How could our situation possibly be funny? There was nothing either of us could do to save ourselves.

"I'm sorry too, Thalia," I said. My voice was raspy, and I struggled to force the word out past the thick lump in my throat. I looked down at the damp gray stone of the floor.

"Why?"

I didn't answer, for I didn't have any words. I couldn't bring myself to say anything else to her. It was my fault.

"Why, Percy?" Her voice was more forceful this time.

For a second, I was going to reply, but I didn't know what to say. My mouth opened, unknown words on my tongue, but right at that moment, the door slammed open.

"Get up, ya lazy scum," a gruff voice ordered.

My head shot up, worried about Thalia's safety, but the guard wasn't going to her, thank the gods. No. The guard, a very ugly cyclops - no offense Tyson - was headed straight towards me, his fleshy, protruding stomach bouncing unattractively as he lumbered over.

I nearly gagged as his stench hit my nose. Burnt rubber and old gym socks. Gross. In a way, he reminded me of Gabe. Just the thought of my first stepfather made me on edge. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck tingle, standing on end.

The cyclops glared down at me with his one eye. It was an ugly swamp green color, and had a crust of eye gunk around the sides. I felt my lunch jump up my throat but forced it down.

"Come on, godling! Get up! It's time."

I raised an eyebrow as he unlocked my chains from the wall. Time for what?

The cyclops kept a firm grip on my chains as he dragged me out of the cell.

"What about her?" I asked him.

The guard looked over his shoulder. "Her? No. The boss asked for you. She stays here." He then continued to drag me.

I sighed, relieved. At least Thalia would be safe. For now. I didn't know where the cyclops was taking me, but it definitely had to be worse than the cell.

***

Word Count: 1162

Average Words per Chapter: 1578

Word Total: 6313

Posted: Saturday, December 31st, 2016

Edited and Re-Posted: Monday, February 14th, 2016

~CSP2708~

*Dylan_Walts*