02

Chapter Two | The Doctor

Kyosei recoiled in horror, snatching his hand from his wife. Ryoba let out a soundless gasp, falling to her knees, clutching her daughter's hand. Her eyes were scrunched closed as tears cascaded down her face like water from an opened floodgate. She shook her daughter, the look of heart-break upon her face. When her daughter lay unresponsive, she began to wail. She begged her daughter to wake up, her face contorted and red. She pleaded still, but Ayano lay there, eyes shut. Unmoving...

Ryoba screamed.

The sound echoed through the empty halls of the hospital to a Junior Doctor who looked to be in his early twenties, who had been in the process of making coffee. With the shatter of a mug, he bolted down the hallway towards the sound. It was heart-breaking to hear such a noise, and he could only assume that a patient was dead. As he rushed through the door, he heard the scream falter and fall into sobbing.

He kneeled down by the girl in the bed, glancing over the equipment next to her. He put a mirror to her mouth and nose. No condensation, he began to panic. She had stopped breathing.

'Your daughter's gone into cardiac arrest.' he spoke quickly, his deep voice clear and confident, 'I need you,' looking at Kyosei,' to find a more senior doctor, and when you do, tell them I need a defibrillator and an oxygen mask.'

Kyosei nodded, rushing out of the room with one last sincere look to his daughter. Ryoba was now silent, staring blankly at Ayano, still kneeled and holding her daughter's hand. Though the screaming had stopped she still sniffed and let out the occasional dry sob. The boy looked down at the girl, and for a second, he wasn't a doctor. He was a frightened child whose heartbeat was loud in his ears, a child who couldn't do anything. Something clicked in his memory as he gazed down at the beautiful girl. In an instant he forgot to be frightened, and taking a breath, he put one hand over the other and began to thump down over her heart.

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

'Come on.' he gritted his teeth,' She can't die... ' he muttered to himself as he beat against her heart.

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

Again and again he pumped her heart. She still didn't move. Sweat began to
trickle down his forehead, forming beads at his furrowed brow. He was in perfect shape, but he was beginning to feel drained. Closing his eyes and breathing into her mouth again, he prayed to every God who had ever existed that she would live. He didn't care what would happen to him, he knew the risks. If she didn't survive, who knows what would happen to Akademi? What would happen t-

The corpse beneath him gasped and gulped in air. Spluttering, she opened eyes of the darkest black and looked into his, oblivious of her mother's gawping. He gazed down, his face as unreadable as something written in a language forgotten by time. He blinked rapidly, his face flushed red. He looked away and slowly stood up as Ryoba began to weep with joy, arms wrapped around her daughter. Seconds later, a 40-something year-old with a stethoscope around his neck, who could only be assumed to be the doctor, came into the room panting, followed by a nurse and Kyosei. The three were flustered and concerned, but their faces melted into relief as they saw them sitting on the floor.

Her father held her mother as Ayano was swarmed with medical staff. The oxygen mask was attached to her face and she took slow, deep breaths. A nurse was busy checking her blood pressure, blocking her view of the door. If Ayano had looked over the nurse's shoulder, she would have seen the handsome man leave in a hurry.

 If Ayano had looked over the nurse's shoulder, she would have seen the handsome man leave in a hurry

Chapter Updated! First Upload - (17/12/2016 ); Most Recent Upload - (25/06/2017)

So, the next instalment, ehh? Yeah, I've got nada to say...

Comments and votes are much appreciated.

In order to get reading as soon as updates come out, please add 'Yours Truly' to your library and follow me for further information.

Thanks for reading, see you next time.

~ FictionNovellist