Chapter III

"Let's get out of here." Mason shouted over the loud music.

"And go where?" Rayan asked him. "We've only been here for an hour and a half."

"There's a better party going on." he smiled. "This is dead compared to that one."

"Are you sure?" She was kind of disappointed. She didn't want her only prom experience to be cut short.

"I’m positive. Let’s go.” he grabbed her hand and lead her out of the crowded venue.

                                 …

Omar got in his car and Asad got into the passenger seat. Her brother immediately began to dial his father’s number.

“Wait.” Asad said. “Maybe telling him isn’t a good idea.”

“What are you talking about?” He looked at Asad, confused.

“Maybe you should deal with it yourself. What is snitching on her going to do?”

“She’ll never take me seriously.” he said. “But she’ll definitely take him seriously. I’m not going to let my little sister be a hoe just to keep her out of trouble.”

“I think you’re making this a little too deep. She’s not being a hoe, she’s being an eighteen year old girl.”

“Do you remember how we used to talk about girls like her a few years ago?” Omar asked Asad.

“Yeah.” he said, suddenly realizing that nothing he could say in this moment would stop him. “My bad, do what you need to do.”

“Hello.” Omar said into the phone, no longer paying attention to Asad. “Hello abo. You’re not going to believe what I’m about to tell you.” he began.

                               …

Rayan and Mason walked into a strange, crowded house. The music was blaring so loud that they heard it from down the street before coming in. She scanned the room and unsurprisingly only saw white people, all of their faces were unfamiliar.

“Whose house is this?” she whispered in his ear.

“College guys, you wouldn’t know them.” he replied. A shorter guy with blonde hair approached them and went directly to Mason.

"Dude, I'm glad you could make it out tonight!" he said excitedly.

"I wouldn't miss one of your parties for the world."

"How was prom?"

"Lame."

"I told you." he laughed. "You'll have a lot more fun here." He shifted his gaze over to Rayan. "You must be his date."

"Yeah." she said timidly.

"She's cute." he said to Mason. "Never thought this was your type, though."

"She broke the mold." he laughed.

"My name is Matt, by the way."

"I'm Rayan, it's nice to meet you." she said politely.

"We're about to go and start a game outside. Do you guys want to come?"

"No than-" Rayan began.

"Yeah!" Mason interrupted. "Is it cool if I catch up with you later?" he asked her.

"Yeah totally." she said, hiding her disappointment. Her dream of a perfect prom suddenly wasn't looking so good. She made her way to a couch and sat down next to two girls that were seemingly drunk. She quickly took out her phone and opened Snapchat. She had quite a few videos from Hani. She turned the volume on her phone all the way but it was no help. The music was way too loud. She watched videos of Hani, Yasmeen, and a few other girls dancing and laughing. She skipped through them and got to one of them in the kitchen baking something. Rayan felt her heart sink at the sight of Hani having that much fun while she sat on this couch unamused. Her phone suddenly died as she was watching the snaps. She dug through her purse to find her charger when she realized that she left in Mason's car. She took a deep breath and threw herself against the couch. Rayan watched as these college students fell over each other, danced tipsy, and laughed uncontrollably. She had never been drunk and in that moment she realized that she never wanted to be. About half an hour later, a drunk Mason finally appeared back into the house.