Chapter XIX

"Mabrook!" Asad's mother shouted during the walimah. All of the women had spent hours in the kitchen, preparing a feast for all of them to enjoy.

"What a day." his father sighed. "I can't believe our only son is already married."

"You're next, Ayesha." his mother smiled.

"Yeah, right." she laughed. "I need to get through school first."

"Speaking of school, Asad's graduation is tomorrow." Rayan said excitedly.

"So is Omar's." her father jumped in.

"I know." Rayan replied. There was a few moments of an awkward silence.

"So why didn't you want a wedding?" Asad's mother asked, breaking the silence.

"I mean, I wouldn't have anybody to invite." she laughed, slightly embarrassed.

"Honestly, if you just announce that you're having a wedding a good number of Somalis will show up." Asad laughed.

"I would feel so uncomfortable." Rayan said. "I like this, with just all of us."

"Well, just let me know if you change your mind. If you feel like you want an actual big wedding later on, I can give you one." he said.

"Okay." Rayan nodded.

"So what's the plan?" her father asked. "College is still on the table, right?"

"Of course!" Rayan said. "We don't want kids or anything until I get my teaching degree."

"That reminds me, we should probably go apartment hunting." Asad said.

"Yeah, you'll need your own space." his father agreed. "I'm surprised you didn't do that earlier."

"We didn't really have the time." he shrugged. "We were just trying to get this nikaah done as soon as possible. Let's go tomorrow, after graduation." his suggested to Rayan. "Is that fine?"

"Perfect." Rayan smiled.

                                  ...

"What do you want?" Bayden rolled her eyes. She was sitting in front of a bowl of Chipotle that Hakeem bought her.

"I wanted to see you before you went back to Toronto." Hakeem said. "I also wanted to apologize for how things went the last time we were together."

"Then apologize." she shrugged.

"I'm sorry for how I treated you, Bayden. You didn't deserve that and I promise that it will never happen again."

"Okay." she nodded her head as she ate. "Now that we have that out of the way, what do you really want?" Hakeem let out a small laugh. She knew him too well.

"I need you to get close with Rayan."

"Why?" Bayden asked.

                                ...

"I am pleased to welcome you to the commencement ceremony for this class of young, bright individuals. Some will leave today entering the workforce and others will go on to further their education." the dean of the university spoke.

Rayan sat in between her father and Asad's family. Her husband was the only reason that she was there. If Omar couldn't be happy for her marriage, she had no reason to be excited for his graduation. She yawned out of boredom. She zoned out and imagined her dream apartment. Rayan had never been more excited to move out. The mere thought of living with her best friend made her smile. She would finally feel calm and content. Rayan would miss her father, though. She looked over at him. He was proud. Not of her, but of Omar. Her biggest accomplishment thus far was marrying Asad. She knew that this wasn't what he wanted for her. It was her bad behavior that lead him to turn to the solution of marriage. But she didn't see Asad as a punishment. He had been nothing but a blessing to her. But now, she wanted more than anything to make her father just as proud as he was of Omar. Marriage wasn't going to hold her back from finishing school.