Chapter IX

For the next month, Rayan and Asad had only grown closer. They were inseparable. When they weren’t together, they were on the phone. When they weren’t on the phone, they were texting. This was a first for the both of them and it felt amazing. There were a few problems, though. Rayan was still being pressured into spending time with Hakeem. He was obviously interested in her but the feeling was not reciprocated. She played along only to make her father happy. She had been doing so good lately and he seemed to be pleased with her. The last thing she wanted to do was mess it up. But Rayan didn’t understand the trouble this could cause. She was leading Hakeem and her father to believe that she was interested in marrying him.

“So how are you feeling about this?” Rayan’s father asked Hakeem in the kitchen on a Saturday afternoon. Meanwhile, Rayan was in the living room texting Asad.

“I really like her.” Hakeem said confidently. “But I don’t think she feels the same way.”

“What?” her father asked. “Why do you think that?”

“She never replies to my messages and she seems distant. The only time she shows me any type of interest is when you’re around.”

Omar came down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“We’re talking about Rayan.” her father said. “Hakeem thinks she doesn’t like him.”

“She just met you.” Omar said. “Don’t worry, the feelings will come. It’s just going to take some time.”

“He’s right.” her father said. “She’ll come around. I don’t think you should be worried.”

They didn’t know that Hakeem had every reason to be worried. Rayan’s heart belonged to Asad. In fact, she saw this whole Hakeem situation as a punishment. She didn’t think that there was anything wrong with Hakeem. He actually seemed really nice and he was cute. She had yet to find anything that Hani told her about him true. But Rayan found the supervised dates and the involvement of her family annoying and boring.  However, the biggest reason that she didn’t want anything to do with him was Asad.

“Okay.” Hakeem smiled. “If that’s the case, I just want to know where we should go from here.”

“Let’s give it a few more weeks.” her father estimated. “Then we’ll discuss the next steps.”

“My mom wants to meet her.” he explained. “Is it okay if she comes with me next time?”

“Of course.” her father smiled. “It’s fine with me.”

Rayan walked into the kitchen and scanned the room with her eyes.

“What’s fine with you?” she asked her father.

“Hakeem’s mom is going to come next time to meet you.” he explained.

“Isn’t it a little too early?” she asked.

“It’s only fair.” he said. “He’s met your family.”

“Can I talk to Hakeem alone in the living room?” she asked. “I need to tell him something.”

“Why can’t you say it here?” Omar asked.

“Because it’s between us.” Rayan said without looking at her brother. She was starting to become very annoyed with him. Lately, he had been forcing her relationship with Hakeem. She felt trapped in this situation because of him.

Hakeem and Rayan went back to the living room and sat on opposite sides of the couch.

“Do you really want to marry me?” she asked him seriously.