Chapter XXI

"Oh my God." Asad groaned. His head was already pounding. He immediately reached for his wife who was dead silent. Her side of the car was destroyed. Asad busted into tears at the sight of his seemingly lifeless wife. She was leaning back on what was the passenger seat, still holding onto her stomach. He grabbed her hand and felt around for any sign of a pulse. "Yes." he whispered to himself when he finally felt a beat directly below her thumb. "Rayan, can you hear me?" he asked her.

"Mhm." she breathed.

"Hang in there for me babe." he said as he tightened his grip on her hand.

"My baby." she said as she began to cry.

"You'll be okay." Asad said as tears began to form in his eyes, clouding his vision. 

"I don't care!" she cried out louder. "I'm going to lose my baby."

"Don't say that!" he shouted. "Our baby will be okay, too." he said as he tightly shut his eyes. He hoped that when he opened his eyes, he would awaken from a nightmare. He hoped that his wife would be laying next to him, pregnant and unharmed. But Asad opened his eyes, and reality hit him like a train. A swarm of police cars and ambulances charged towards them.

                                 ...

"I can't wait to give you a tour." Zaki said to Hani as they sat on the roof of her new apartment building. They could see the university from where they were standing.

"It's huge." she said.

"It is." he agreed. "You're lucky that you have your sister."

"And you." she nudged him. "What you guys did for me was so sweet. You had my favorite colors down and everything. Whose idea was it?" she asked.

"It was originally mine." he shrugged. "I found your sister on Facebook and told her about it and she agreed to help."

"Wow." Hani said. She found it a bit weird that Zaki had contacted her sister without her consent. That could have went very differently if her sister wasn't so cool. But she brushed it off. She knew that his intentions were in the right place. He just wanted to make her feel at home. "Thank you. It really was amazing."

"Aren't you tired, Hani?" her sister asked as she walked towards them. He was disappointed at the sound of Haya's voice. Zaki had been waiting for months to spend some alone time with Hani.

"Yes actually." Hani sighed. "Jet lag is no joke."

"Come inside and get some rest then." Haya said. Hani looked over at Zaki.

"Of course." he smiled. "We'll have plenty of time to see each other later." They all walked towards the door and went into the elevator. Hani said her goodbyes to Zaki before she got off. Her sister watched and shot a smile at him as they stepped off of the elevator. They went into their apartment and Haya quickly shut the door. She leaned against it and looked at her sister with wide eyes.

"What?" Hani asked.

"Hani, have you Googled this guy?"

"No, why?"

"Well I just did, and you won't believe what I found."

...

"Omar!" Rayan's father shouted painfully. "Omar, come down!"

"Abo, are you okay?" he asked his father, panicked.

"Rayan and Asad were in an accident!"

"What?" he asked.

"We need to go to the hospital, come on."

"Abo," Omar began.

"Wallahi Omar I do not care what you have to say. If you're going to protest and tell me that you don't want to go, then I don't want to hear it.