Chapter XI

The next few weeks consisted of nothing but sorrow and anxiety for the both of them. For some reason, the possibility of pregnancy had not even dawned on Asad. But it was all that Rayan was thinking about. Her heart still ached every time that she thought of Asad’s face. Even though he broke her heart, her mind still wandered to him and her heart still yearned for him. This was surely the worst heartbreak that she had ever experienced. Her break up with Mason seemed like childs play compared to this. As for Asad, he had dealt with a few breakups in his lifetime but none of them could ever hold a candle to this one.

“I don’t know what to do.” Rayan said to Hani helplessly in the school cafeteria. “I don’t know what went wrong. I genuinely believed everything that he said. I thought I could’ve trusted him.”

“This is how guys are sometimes.” Hani explained. “You’re an amazing girl though, Rayan. You deserve better.”

“But what if I’m pregnant?” Rayan whispered.

“Hopefully you’re not. But if you are then you need to tell him and your family.” The thought of being a mother at eighteen horrified Rayan. If she thought getting married would hold her back, having a child would be a million times worse. Her mind was scattered between being heartbroken over Asad and being worried about her future. “We’ll get through this together.” Rayan said. “No matter the outcome.”

“Thanks Hani.” Rayan said. “I don’t know what I would do without you. You really came back into my life at the perfect time.”

“It’s no problem.” Hani said as she ate her lunch. “So I did some research and I found out that a home pregnancy test wouldn’t really be reliable after a few weeks. It would actually take about a month or so to be accurate.”

“I can’t wait that long. I just want to find out that I’m not pregnant so that I can relax and enjoy graduation.”

“So we have three weeks.” Hani began. “Let’s go to the doctor after school. I think that enough time has passed. Don’t worry, I’ll cover for you.”

“I’m scared.” Rayan said. She was so nervous that she had barely eaten since the incident with Asad.

“Don’t be. You’ll be okay.” Hani assured her. “Now eat something before you starve and die.”

                                …

Asad felt miserable after what he did to Rayan. He had been running on little sleep and could barely force himself to go to class these days. He planned on avoided Omar for a while, just until he felt better about things. Although, he highly doubted that he would ever be able to live down what happened. He sat in class but couldn’t focus, all of his thoughts lead back to Rayan. He even grabbed his phone a few times to text her but ended up deleting it and shutting it off before he sent it.

“Hey, are you alright man? a guy that sat next to him in class asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just sleep deprived.” Asad responded. He looked at himself in his phone camera. He looked like a mess from his hair to his eye bags.

“You look more than sleep deprived.” the guy said.

“Just going through some things.” Asad said.

“You can go ahead and go home if you want. I’ll send you the notes.” the guy offered.

“Thank you so much.” Asad said as he stood up.

“No problem. I hope whatever it is gets better.”

“Me too.” Asad said and walked out of the room.