Chapter Six

I was sitting at the Ravenclaw table with Andrea who was telling Howie, Mordecai and I how her mum had gotten her a new dog named Clover. I looked at the Gryffindor table and started laughing. Ever since we'd gotten back James refused to look Sirius in the eyes and I was the only one who knew why.
I looked towards the staff's table and say the stool and the Sorting Hat out. Why was the Sorting Hat out? I looked at Andrea and saw her looking the exact same way I was: confused. Who was coming here? Dumbledore stood up wanted walked towards the owl podium and then told the Sorting Hat to take it away.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

I smiled as the Sorting Hat finished his song then Dumbledore started calling out names. People I'd never seen before walked up to the hat and were sorted into Houses. It was fun to watch the people get excited about meeting new friends and being sorted into Houses.
"Fairview, Riley!" Professor Mcgonagall called out, I froze and my face paled. What? I looked around then saw a head of tall, familiar, black hair standing up from the side lines and walk over to the Sorting Hat. I looked around and started to breathe heavily.
"It's okay, just a dream, nothing else," I muttered sourly, then I laughed hoarsely and closed my eyes and breathed in. I opened them to look up and look at the Marauders table, James was talking to Lily, who was looking like she was somewhat warming up to him. Sirius was watching uninterested in Riley's sorting. Peter was lazily messing with his hair and messing with then the napkin on the table. Remus was watching Riley and furrowing his eyebrows before he'd look into his lap and then back at Riley.
"...better be... GRYFFINDOR!" The Sorting Hat finally shouted out after five minutes of silence. I almost screamed 'no' if it hadn't been for my throat being hoarse from almost hyperventilating. Oh no. No. I stood up and hurriedly rushed out of the Great Hall.
The library door was unlocked and all the lights off. Pushing open the door, I entered the library and walked to the back, where my corner was. My desk was the same as I had left it over the small break but the stool seemed to be different. I furrowed my eyebrows and grudgingly searched the entire library for my stool. I found it on the other side of the library at another desk that had books and papers scattered all over the desk, shrugging my shoulders, I took the stool and walked back to my spot.
When I returned I saw Moaning Myrtle was sitting in the air, floating around my desk. Myrtle was a squat student with dark lank hair with a fringe, pimples and thick glasses. She died in 1943 and became a ghost, wearing her school uniform, as well as her glasses, for eternity.
I smiled and greeted her, as I hadn't seen her in a while. The tears that were brimming my eyes, seemed to break the barrier between not crying and crying, and started sliding down my cheeks.
"Are you okay, Terra? You seem to be crying," She asked, uncrossing her legs and floating down beside me. She generally looked concerned for me which I found to be sad, seeings as how a ghost was more concerned for me then my friends.
"I'm semi-fine, really. Just a little stressed out," I said wiping the tears from my face. She cocked her head like she wanted me to go on. "Okay, well, I had this friend and we were really close, until he did something to me that was unforgivable, but yet I forgave him. And I have been avoiding him for the past three years, but today I found out he is here and was sorted into Gryffindor. I'm that he might let something out about mine and his past that I don't want anyone to know.
"I just am so terrified of my friends finding out about you-know-what that they start telling their friends and their friends tell their parents and then it turns into a whole storm of rumors and truths. But, please promise me you won't tell anybody about it," I explained, while making wild hand gestures.
"I won't, after all I was sworn to secrecy, but I'd be careful with Peeves," She giggled then gasped. "I have some new gossip!" I smiled and nodded. "So it turns out Marlene Mckinnon is dating Amos Diggory who is also dating Eliza Beckburn, I was listening to Amos and Eliza talk, it was disgusting, by the way, and Eliza was all like 'you need to break up with her, she isn't meant for you! Only I am' and then it went silent and then I heard ruffling of clothes and that's where I left," She continued to tell me the latest gossip before she stopped and then murmured about the bookcase and left. I furrowed my eyes and turned towards the bookcases she was talking about.
I flicked my wand and all the books from that small section fell off the shelf to reveal Remus Lupin standing there shyly. He cleared his throat and then came out from around the bookshelf.
"Sorry," he said and began to pick up the books. I narrowed my eyes on him and watched him pick up the books. He set the last one back on the shelf and then looked at me. "I swear, I didn't eavesdrop I just came to the library to find you and heard you and Moaning Myrtle talking."
"How much did you hear?" I asked defensively, gathering my things up. I had my back turned towards him picking up the books I had checked out and putting them into my bag.
"Only the gossip part," I turned around after packing my things and watched him. He shuffled on his feet but other then that didn't show any signs of lying. I nodded and was about to walk past him, when he stopped me.
"Uh, wait. I have something of yours. I don't think you meant to give it to me," he reached in his pocket and pulled out a moving picture and handed it to me. It was a picture of Riley and I when we both went to Ilvermorny, during our first and second years. Both of us were smiling at the camera and had our hands slung over each others shoulders. After we took the serious picture we did a goofy picture. Riley had did a spell and gave me bunny ears, while I just pretended to push him away. He had a hurt face then he smiled and the picture restarted.
"I remember this day," I said letting out a breathe. I took the picture gently in between my forefingers and thumbs then ripped the picture in half. I crumbled up the half of the picture that was Riley and handed Remus the half that was of me. "You can keep that, if you want or you can throw it away. It doesn't matter to me."
"Why'd you do that?" Remus asked, calmly, a second later. I looked up at him and then answered.
"That picture has memories I'd rather not bring up, but it doesn't have memories for you. It does have a memory now, because there is a story behind why it is now, torn apart. You are involved in the memory but before when the picture belonged to me, there were unfathomable memories that held happiness, sadness and horror, but now they are gone and you are the owner of a new memory," I said, shrugging and began to walk off.
"Oh." Was all I heard before I walked out of the library. The hallways were empty, while I walked to the kitchen. I tickled the pear and opened the door to the kitchen, where I greeted Dietz and Fitzgerald with a smile and a playful bow. They bowed and asked me what I wished to have from the kitchen.
"Oh, uh, could I get just a PB&J, if that's alright," I asked them politely walking over and just sitting on the floor.
"Mistress Terra, why on earth are you sitting on the floor?" Dietz asked walking over to me and trying to make me get up from the floor.
"I don't know really. I just want to eat somewhere unique today, for I've had a rough day," I laughed as Dietz nodded her head, slowly while looking at me strangely.
"I know I'm weird, it's fine," I smiled at Dietz and then not a minute later Fitzgerald came back with a small platter. I smiled and thanked his and watched Dietz and Fitzgerald go back to working around the kitchen. I ate my PB&J silently while I watched the elves work around the kitchen. I stood up and wiped the crumbs from the sandwich off of me and thanked the two elves, before leaving.
I exited the kitchen and walked back up the stairs towards the Great Hall. When I entered the Great Hall, I walked over to where Andrea, Howie and Mordecai were seated and smiled at them.
"You okay now? You scared me just by jumping up from your seat and rushing out of the Great Hall," Andrea said looking at me and poking at the Great Hall doors.
"I'm fine now, just I couldn't breathe for a second," I said shrugging. Andrea smirked creepily and then looked me dead in the eyes.
"I saw Remus go after you," I smacked Andrea's arm and then rolled my eyes. "I bet after you and him meet up, you really couldn't breathe."
"Oh my Godric! Andrea!" I blurted out and looked at her red faced. She laughed and nudged me, while wiggling her eyebrows at me. I shook my head then looked towards the Gryffindor table to see Remus getting tease by his friends about something. He was red faced and sputtering a reply to them every once in a while. Sirius looked past Peter's head and looked straight at me. He froze then smiled and nudged Remus.
I turned back around and looked confusingly at the empty plate in front of me, before looking up at Howie, Mordecai and Andrea.
"I'll be in the common room or library, when you guys are finished," I said and stood up while they nodded. I walked with the small group of other people leaving the Great Hall. I was walking alone down the halls towards the the door to the Ravenclaw common room, when I heard someone running after me. I continued to look forwards and then saw someone walking beside me. I looked over expecting to see James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, Andrea, Howie, or Mordecai, not Riley.
I stopped walking and took a step backwards, away from Riley. He looked the exactly the same. He had longish black hair, with a matured face. He had a sharp jaw line, ocean blue eyes, and a tanned complexion.
"What are you doing here?" I asked softly, afraid of moving.
"I didn't get into Durmstrang, because I wasn't Pure-blood. So Mom sent me here, to England," Riley said sighing afterwards. "I know you're ignoring me, but please stop, I didn't mean to do it. You know it wasn't my fault."
I looked around and saw no one around so I spoke. "You know what? Yes, I know you didn't mean to, but I am not normal anymore! I am trapped in this endless spiral of shit and no one can help me out! I have made friends but I don't want them to fear me! You and I both know this fucking hell will not get better!
"I'm constantly lying to my best friends and making up fake excuses to explain my disappearances! Oh, yeah I had cramps and stayed in the library all night! It hard and I'm only here because Dumbledore allows me to be here! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to be going now," I sighed and ended the conversation calmly. I walked past him and walked back to the library.
I entered the library and placed my hands above my head and started pacing up and down the aisle. Why did he have to show up? Why did he have to enter the picture again? I laughed bitterly and then just sank to my knees and started to contemplate. I looked up at the bookshelves beside me and then snorted when I saw the book Hairy Snout, Human Heart beside me.
"How convenient," I muttered, sourly. I pulled it from the shelf and sat cross-legged in the middle of the aisle. The cover was just plain black with cursive, gold lettering spelling out Hairy Snout, Human Heart. The authors name was not on the cover or the spine of the book, I opened the cover and looked for the authors name. Upon seeing none, I just flipped to the next page and began to read the book.
I was in the middle of chapter twenty three of the book, when I marked my place in the book and stood up. I walked out of the library and to the Ravenclaw common room. I answered the riddle given to me by the eagle and entered the common room. The common room was completely deserted, with a fire still burning in the fireplace in front of the dark blue couch.
I walked over to the couch, pulled my shoes off and tucked my legs beneath me on the couch. I used the light of the fire to allow me to read a few more chapters of the book, before I yawned and felt my eyes drift close.
When I awoke the next day, I quickly dragged my arse up to my dorm and changed clothes. I begrudgingly gathered all my things and walked back to the common room, where I walked back to the couch and retrieved my book.
I exited the common room alone and walked to the Great Hall. I was looking down, reading my book, when I walked right into someone. I dropped my book and fell onto my arse, letting out an 'ouff' sound.
"We have got to stop meeting like this," Remus laughed, while I stood up and was about to grab my book, when he grabbed it and looked at it. His face went stony while he looked at the book.
"Hairy Snout, Human Heart, huh?" He looked uncomfortable, while looking at the book and then handed it to me. I took the book from his hands and then looked at the cover, then at him.
"It's okay, I guess, if you're into werewolves. I'm not really into werewolves, though," I lied straight through my teeth. Remus looked crestfallen.
"Oh, me neither," he said bitterly, then his face darkened and he walked off with that. I'm not going to lie and say that I didn't feel something in my chest break into little pieces. I looked down and then just stood there, in place. I then looked back up and say Riley watching me sadly. I looked down and then breathed in and let it out. In two day it was the next Full Moon and I didn't have time for this.
I looked up at him and gestured for him to follow me. He looked surprised, but stood from the Gryffindor table and began to walk over. He walked over to me slowly and then stood a good foot away from me, he waited for me to talk. I didn't, I turned on my heal and walked back towards the Ravenclaw common room. I looked behind me to make sure he was still following me, he was, and then I answered the riddle the eagle gave to me.
We walked through the door and I checked to make sure no one was around, before turning around and looking Riley in the eyes. I pointed to the couch and then walked over to it and sat down.
"I'm sorry for yelling at you last night about that but it's two nights until my "Period" and I'm currently not in the best of moods. I'm sorry for ignoring you for almost three years and I'm sorry for punching you in the face and breaking your nose with my little twelve year old fist." I sat up straightly. Period was our code word for the Full Moon and sometimes it meant what it 's meaning usually means. I yawned and rubbed my eyes. "So, I've been meaning to ask you, how's your life?"
Riley smiled at me and then suddenly pulled me into a hug. "Fine, now that I have my best friend and partner-in-crime back. I'm so sorry about doing that to you, for hurting you. Life back in America was so boring without you. Mom said you'd come around and- went did you get a tattoo?"
"You just know noticed? I've had then for about seven months and I got this one-" I pulled the collar of my shirt down slightly to reveal the moon tattoo, "- a week after it happened."
"Your mom was okay with that?" Riley raised an eyebrow. I laughed then stopped suddenly.
"No, she was so absolutely angry, I was sure she was going to have a litter of kittens!"
"I thought so! Oh, I miss messing with your brother when he lived with you and your mom. Have you seen your brother, recently?"
"Yeah, he's living with Dad and I now. Anyways, about my "Period", you going to be okay, with my moodiness, and my, I don't know raging anger?"
"Oh, yeah, I was there during your first "Period" and there was plenty of anger," Riley said before the bell rang, we exited the Ravenclaw common room and went straight to class.