S I X T E E N

S I X T E E N
Let's Go Home

THE ONLY SOUNDS that could be heard were the clinking of the silverware against the bowls and plates. I rolled a single fresh grape around my breakfast platter, mind floating off into space as my eyes trailed after the rolling fruit.

Last night had been unkind, and the very second in which I had rushed back into my room, I had locked the door shut only to find myself slowly sinking back into the state of panic in which I thought I had managed to chase away during this short period of time. Death no longer frightened me, but how unfortunate that the horrors of the past still did. His brother still did.

Fabian was a whole level of eery darkness. He was so much like the spirit of death; a dark shadow was never far behind the man, and his movements were so elegant with poise and perfection that he seemingly glided over the floor like blades upon snow. With darker eyes that contrasted Dimitri's, Fabian was a whole new level of haunting.

He was a nightmare of the past that could never go away even with a collection of daydreams. Because truly, do the fears ever cease?

It's something part of us, something that can never be removed, something like an essence and a part of ourselves. Fear dwells even in the bravest of hearts for those with courage often fear losing that trait. They fear fear itself.

And I, someone who is not as brave as warriors and heroes find myself sinking even further into the depths of nightmares that would undoubtedly haunt the rest of my life.

"You are being uncharacteristically quiet." A soft voice pulled my eyes away from the plate, turning to glance at Minnie's own ones that shone with utmost curiosity.

"I think the events of last year had thrown that flair into my once robust personality." My reply was quick and evident, but not yet enough to throw my best friend off-guard. After all, she knew me the best along with Bella.

Speaking of which, I could only pray that Lucius would leave her alone.

"Something happened yesterday while I was gone, right? You are thinking too much about something and it's bothering you. What happened, Addi?"

I could barely even force myself to look up and meet Minnie's soft eyes. She looked worried, to say the least, but haven't we all been there? That was the exact same look I had once accessorized when I first realized Minnie's own disappearance.

Taking a quick glance around the room to ensure that no one was looking, I dropped my voice to just above a whisper, leaning slightly into the dinner table as Minnie did the same.

"I think that Fabian is hiding something."

"What makes you think that?"

Her question threw me off guard. What did make me think that? Just because a guy was closed off and came off particularly cold and murderous did not mean that he was hiding a world-ending secret. And yet, it could also mean that he had everything to hide.

"Call it a gut feeling. He hates me, and he seemed so particularly closed off and hard to reach. I bumped into him last night and I could swear that if I did not leave as quickly as I did, he would have had no hesitation in ending my life then and there."

Not that it would be the first time someone had tried to end me, but then again the idea of me dying isn't exactly, how should I phrase it, exciting.

"Maybe it's just something hereditary. He wouldn't be the first brother to try and off you."

Just like I had just thought.

"Gee, thanks for the reminder." Leaning back against the cushion of my seat, I placed two fingers to my temple before gently massaging. If I had known that believing in fairytales would get me to this state in life, I would've laid off all those Disney movies as a kid.

Minnie shrugged in a manner that practically screamed 'just saying' before returning to slice up a piece of ham on her plate. Though life was undoubtedly luxurious here in a grand castle, it made me feel to dependent on Dimitri than I should be. After all, he is a spirit that guarded the gates of hell and all that is behind those gates. And I am just but a human girl that wants to retreat back into my house for the rest of all eternity so that no further harm can come to me.

Is that too much to ask?

"I'm leaving," I declared, slamming my hands down against the table to push myself up. "I can't stay here any longer. There is no need for me to extend my stay. I am going home."

"What?" Shocked would be an understatement in expressing Minnie's expression as her eyes widened into the size of saucers, mouth slightly agape as she placed her cutlery down against the table. "Why would you want to leave?"

"Maybe because this isn't where we belong? Maybe because Bella is currently at home all alone with no protection other than Cassiel?" My heart skipped a beat when his name left my lips, but I swallowed the unpleasant (and honestly false) memories back down to the depths of my mind. "Maybe because I actually miss home and I miss having a normal life?"

"Oh.."

"Don't you miss Gabriel, Minnie? He's been worried sick about you ever since you were kidnapped. He cares for you."

I had not expected the sudden outburst when Minnie, too, slammed her palms onto the table before standing up, the legs of her chair scraping against the floor.

"Maybe that's because it's his job to care!" With a face that resembled a tomato, Minnie's emotion did a complete turn as the words of anger flew past her lips. "He's my guardian angel, Addison! His job is to care for me! He doesn't actually like me that way!"

Startled, I was at a loss for words, blinking rather stupidly as Minnie slumped back down into her seat with slightly glossy eyes.

"He accidentally spilled the beans days before Lucius got to me. I can't believe that I had been such a fool."

"Hey," I started gently, walking round to table to place a comforting hand on Minnie's shoulder. "At least you didn't fall for Death thinking that he was somebody else."

Luckily enough for me, a small faint smile broke the surface upon Minnie's lips. Her hand raised to wipe stray tears away before sighing deeply.

"You're right." Conceding, the strawberry blonde stood up with thin-lipped determination etched clearly upon her beautiful features. "Let's go home, Addison."

Vote, comment and share

Vote, comment and share. ❤️

Until next time. 👐🏼