T H I R T Y

T H I R T Y
As I Lay Dying

AS THE EARTH cracked beneath my feet, I stumbled in my steps, squinting hard in an attempt to locate Dimitri and Minnie. The rubble had raised a cloud of dust, rendering hell itself to crack at the seams, allowing lava to spill forth from the earth's core.

"Dimitri!" I shouted, running blindly into the foray as the clash of swords and the booming gunshots reverberated through the skies.

I was a blind girl searching for a needle in a haystack. There was no possible way for me to locate them before Lucius could. He was a celestial being, capable of extraordinary feats while I was just a mortal girl in an immortal land.

I was basically courting death itself.

As more lava sprang from the cracks below, I quickened my pace, searching high and low for the two familiar figures. When my eyes finally landed on them, I could not stop the great rush of relief that had flooded my senses.

They were battling, with Dimitri's and Lucius' sword both high in the air. Their soldiers on both sides had long since clashed, bringing havoc and pure chaos into the realm of the dead. I watched in gaping silence as spirits and angels fought, weapons slashing unforgivingly while Minnie stood to one side, a silver gun in her hands for her own protection. Her stance, however, was more defensive than offensive when barracks of angels cornered her.

A sense of immense pride overcame me as she pointed and pulled the trigger, bringing down her opponents before they could reach her. The nasty pungent of gunpowder rose to join in the ranks of pollution, covering the air with a heavy smog.

Running as fast as my legs could carry me, I made my way over just in time before Dimitri had plunged the silver sword into Lucius' abdomen, eliciting a sharp breath from the latter as pools of pure golden blood leaked from the wound. The angel fell to the ground with a thud, his eyelids fluttering shut as his wound continued to bleed out, left unattended.

The darker celestial being was in a celebratory stance, his strong arms raised in the air as the fallen's soldiers all bowed down in defeat though fury still burned behind the irises of their eyes. Their leader had fallen, and many of them were retreating before being slaughtered in the unforgiving battle between supposed good and evil.

In his time parading his success, Dimitri had not noticed a stray soldier from Lucius' army creeping from behind him, brandishing a bow and an arrow. Lucius words flashed into my memory, almost echoing into the dark void as my blood ran cold.

'And until I find a way for you to be immortal by my side, unafraid of even a poison that could kill an immortal within seconds and rule Heaven just beneath the almighty himself, I'm sorry, love, but equality will have to do.'

'A poison that could kill an immortal within seconds.'

My mind took a blank as I witnessed the scene, with only one objective coming to my mind.

Time to repay my debt for when he saved me from Lucius in Paradise.

"Dimitri!" Without thinking twice, I pounced over, throwing myself into Dimitri's arms as we swung slightly from the momentum of my impact. It was just in time as Jonah released his last arrow, a sharp jut forcing its way through my back right past my spine as a wave of pain flooded through me.

I could feel a small stream of blood flowing from my mouth as I began to lose all feeling in my legs, leaning heavily in Dimitri's arms as he supported me with a stunned expression hanging off of his handsome features. The adrenaline of his victory came crashing down, wearing off in an instant with me slouching limply in his arms. His face crumpled, distorting into worry and shock that seemed so out of place on his mesmerizing features, and yet the negative emotions proved that they were here to stay.

"Addison, no no no, Addison stay with me." His rough calloused hands supported my face, fingers against my rapidly paling cheeks as consciousness began to slip through from my own fingers.

"You technically saved me... saved me from Lucius. Now... we're even," I coughed out, hoping to show a small smirk but instead failed when a fit of violent coughing rendered me breathless.

My mind was a blur fog now, spots beginning to fill my vision as a clash of steel sounded from what seemed like miles away. I could feel the poison beginning to latch itself onto every fiber of my body, dancing in my veins along with the remainder of my blood. It took the course in which my blood did, running through the bloodstream and feeding every inch of muscle and organ in my body with a black vial of inescapable death. Hallucinations and visions began to flash through my mind as I drifted further and further away from reality, the poison doing its job well to drag me further into the state of oblivion.

The sight of a small little baby appeared, crawling off towards a dangerously positioned cliff before a hooded figure pulled her out of harm's way, throwing away the fate of her plummeting to her death. Then it moved again, showing a little blonde girl that sat by a beautiful lawn, the same hooded figure watching her play. Two toys sat in front of her, one a bear and the other a frog, both worn out by time and use. There was a smile on the hooded figure's face, so small that it seemed almost undetectable, and yet it was there. The rest of his face was covered in a shadow, engulfed by the hood.

When the last memory played, I could feel a single drop of tear falling from the corner of my eyes as I lay on the ground in Dimitri's arms. A small boy and the same blonde girl, though older, stood in the center of a bedroom. She passed him a small gift, one in which I couldn't see too clearly, and he in turn passed her something in which I could never forget. A bracelet that was decorated with thirteen beautifully carved diamonds.

When the vision was gone, all I could see through the fog in which my tears had provided was Dimitri's own red eyes, tears threatening to spill from the brims of his beautifully colored gray orbs.

I never thought I would see Death cry.

Upon his ring finger, something I had never noticed, was a small ring made of wire. It seemed so cheap and out of place in contrast to the jewels a king should wear, and yet it seemed right at home as well. The pale skin around the wire piece was red with slight irritation, probably because the ring looked to be too small for him to wear, and yet it still stayed.

I could barely even will myself to smile at this point, my breath slowing down much too drastically as my eyes threatened to flutter shut forever.

The last thing I had registered was Dimitri's pained cry before darkness lured me in like a siren singing a deadly beautiful song, pulling me away from life itself. All I could think of now was the irony of the situation. Dying in Death's arms, though not by his hands.

I guess third time's the charm after all. After believing in Lucius for three times in a row no matter what he had done to me in the past, I'm finally lying dead on the ground. He needn't be the one behind the trigger. His hands were still covered with the blood of his victim.

Me.

Dun dun dun

Dun dun dun. (yes there is a third book so no worries).

One of y'all mentioned that the main character never dies in Wattpad books, so I decided to prove you guys wrong. 😜

Vote, comment and share. ❤️

Until next time. 💝