N I N E T E E N

N I N E T E E N
Death's Wrath

PERHAPS IT WAS because I had never seen Dimitri so angered before, that's why I had never really anticipated his reaction to the last detail about Minnie and I's abrupt departure. Even back in the boathouse, Dimitri had always held on an air of sinister mischief rather than desperate fury. He treated everything like a game, a simple 1v1 match that will not even harm a single hair on his head. Yet now, his face was of pure rage when he had teleported us back to castle grounds.

When our feet had touched the carpets of Dimitri's room, Minnie disappearing from my side, there was no one to block me from Death's warpath. I was left on full display with Dimitri's angry eyes shining on me, eyebrows furrowed in a combination of fury and disappointment as he took a step towards me. Almost instinctively, I took a step back, making Dimitri frown deeply.

"You left." He stated as plain as day while I struggled for words to reply. Noticing that I had not answered him specifically, he took yet another step forward, anger pulsing through his veins all too clearly. "You disobeyed my orders and left."

"And what did you expect me to do?" Unable to help with my sudden burst of courage, I started to counter with a step on my own. The thing was, Dimitri had not stepped back like I had. He simply stood a little taller before glaring down at me quite literally. "Did you expect me to sit still and look pretty? To be a little china doll decoration for this insane castle?! And honestly, did you really think that I would not have wanted to go home? To my family? My friends?"

"Your friend is already here-"

"-Minnie isn't my only friend!" Throwing my arms out wide, my voice was raised a little higher as anger flushed on my cheeks. "What about Bella? Or Gabriel and Cassiel?-"

"Do not mention his wretched name in my presence." Dimitri's voice grew lethal as he pointed his index finger straight at me, a hint of warning and malice tinting his tone. "Cassiel had never been your friend. In fact, if I so recall, it was I who took his place. I was your friend! Not him."

"You're not my friend!"

Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, for all of a sudden, the room grew so quiet that the silence pounded in my ears. Dimitri stared at me with a shocked expression, eyes growing wide with disbelief before he blinked a few times rather slowly. He acted as if he couldn't believe what he had just heard, stumbling a step back with his eyes still traced on me. For a split second, I had thought that perhaps there was a touch of hurt gracing his silver eyes, but it was gone before I could confirm it for myself.

"Hear me and hear me well, Pilediah," Dimitri's voice dropped into a lethal tone, much more of angry than evil taunting that I had grown accustomed to seeing him use. "You are not allowed out of these castle walls. For the rest of your miserable mortal life, you are to stay here in the depths of Hell. You either stay here in the comfort of your room, or you stay in the dungeons. If I ever see you attempting to leave again, rest assured that grave consequences will be awaiting you."

With that as his parting words, Dimitri disappeared using his strange set of magic, and I was left with the eery quiet of the room now that I was the only soul in sight. The world had never felt as silent before, and all at once, it felt too loud as it rang in my ears.

-----

The darkness had just settled in when I finally awoke from the nap. My head felt way too heavy against my once-soft pillows when I rubbed the sleep away from my eyes very much reluctantly. It took a split second before the events of the previous conversation with Dimitri came crashing in, hitting me like a tidal wave during hurricane season, and all I had felt then was a truckload of pain.