T W E N T Y

T W E N T Y
How to Differ Dreams From Reality

Death stood to a side, watching gloomily with a scowl on his features as the baby in the cot stirred awake. It had been such a pity that he had to take away the life of a youngling so quickly before it could even have the opportunity to explore the wonders of the world. And yet, Death comforted himself with the thought that the world was a harsh and cruel place. This young child would not be able to survive through everything the fates will set out for it, and it was for the best to make it end quick and easy.

He bent down against the baby, placing a single hand above its face before making a pinching motion with his fingers. Instantly, the baby's soft sniffles died down to one last sigh before it all turned silent. Playing with the white wisp and allowing it to dance across his fingers, Death took one last glance at the dead body before teleporting himself away.

-----

Young Addison Pilediah had been playing in the fields again, this time, she was a little older than what Death had last remembered her to be. Golden locks that looked as if it were spun from sunlight itself tumbled down her back before kissing the base of her ribbon-tied waist, eyes glistening with mixtures of blues and greens.

When she had felt a sudden rush of cold air, she had known for sure that her best friend had finally decided to visit her again. It was to be her birthday a few months later, and yet, Addison had already begun to plan just how she would like to spend her birthday with Dimitri.

A boy appeared from past the long grasses, his pale arms parting the plants lightly before peering through just enough to find Addison grinning brightly at him.

"Dee!" She shouted with utmost glee, throwing her arms around the young boy's neck as he stumbled a few steps back before catching them both halfway through the momentum. "I knew you would be here today. And I was right."

Death smiled softly to himself, laughing as he gently peeled Addison away from his body before ruffling her glorious long hair playfully. "It's good to see you too, Andy."

For hours long, the duo played together in the fields, picking up wildflowers -- always chrysanthemums for Death -- before weaving them into large crowns and bands. Nightfall had long passed when the two finally decided to settle on the grass, eyes never leaving the stars once they were safely back in the lawn of the Pilediah household.

"Do stars shine as brightly where you come from?" Addison asked, her own set of eyes gleaming. For a while, Death thought that the only things that could even compare to the sparkle of stars, much more outshine those little bastards, were the glittering eyes of Addison Pilediah. It was always filled with wonder and excitement. And a hint of something Death couldn't quite point out. Admiration, perhaps?

"Stars shine brightly every night from where I come from, Andy. They form ever-present constellations, depicting a story within the cosmos."

Addison's nose wrinkled slightly as she pondered over the overly exaggerated vocabulary her friend had used. Nevertheless, she shook the questioning doubt away from her mind before yet another brilliant smile graced her pink lips.

"I can't wait for the day when we can finally go stargazing together. Mama said that I am not old enough. And when I am, I will definitely go with you first cause you're my best friend."

A small smile twitched at the corners of Death's lips as he watched the young girl's eyes slowly flutter close. She seemed so at peace, almost as if she had no other care in the world other than her slumber.