My First Slytherin

Beth can Apparate now, but she drives us to King's Cross. I check my watch-10:55 on the dot. We hurry through the barriers. Well, Beth hurries. I carefully walk through and almost get seen.

Beth heads into a compartment with Tiana, her best friend. I stumble into a compartment with three third-years. "C-c-can I sit here?" I ask. I cross my fingers that they're not Slytherins.

"Sure," says a girl with long blond pulled back in a ponytail. "By the way, my name is Caroline. This is Sadie and David." Caroline gestured to a girl on her right and a boy on her left. "We're in Gryffindor."

Just then a girl my age bursts in, looking close to tears.

"Slytherins?" Sadie asks kindly. The girl nods.

"Pansy Parkinson and her gang?" asks David. She nods again.

"Those b****es," Caroline mutters bitterly.

"I'm Juliana," the girl says.

"I'm Mia," I tell her. "You must be a first-year, too."

Juliana nods. Then David starts a conversation about Ollivander's disappearance. "We were lucky enough to get wands from him before he went. How did you get yours?"

I tell him about the twenty-something wands I got. As it turns out, Juliana got her grandmother's wand and it works pretty well. Pretty soon, we're all talking and laughing like we've known each other for years. I don't have anything to fear. I take comfort in knowing that these newfound friends have my back.

I don't have any wizarding money, but the witch passing around the treats--David tells us that she would have quit if not for her love of children--takes pity on me and secretly passes me a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. Everyone enjoys my reaction as, not knowing of the unusual flavors, I randomly pick one that turns out to be pepper-flavored.

All too soon, we arrive at Hogwarts. Juliana and I tentatively tiptoe to the lake. A grim-looking giant named Hagrid leads us to rowboats just big enough for three. Juliana and I sit with a boy who looks like a just plain bad person. I know it's kind of harsh, but I can see it in his eyes.

"You're a filthy little Mudblood," he said right off the bat. "Clever, I'll give you that, but a Mudblood."

I look right in his eyes. "Clever enough to fool Dolores Umbridge?" I ask innocently. "I went to the trial, and my sister and I were cleared. By the way, my name is Mia, thanks for asking."

"Bruce Lewis. Pureblood. And you"--he turns to Juliana--"are a blood traitor if I ever saw one. Your whole family's a disgrace."

"And so what if she is?" I shout. "Who cares about where your ancestors came from? It's not even close to as important as whether you're kind or compassionate or honest. So this"--I spit on the ground--"is what I think about blood status-and you."

Juliana gasps. Bruce blinks twice. "You've chosen the wrong person to be your enemy, Amelia! You will rue the day-"

"Oh, shut up," I tell him. Gods, why do I have to be stuck with this idiot?

Someone claps. Another person whistles. Bruce glares at me. His expression is murderous.

Then the boats pull in. Professor McGonagall  simply tells us, "Welcome to Hogwarts. You will now be Sorted into your Houses. Good luck."

We enter the Great Hall. The legendary Sorting Hat has no song to sing.

That's how I know that we're really in trouble.

Hey everyone, thank you so much for reading this! Even though I only have six views, I really appreciate that you're taking the time to look at my fan fiction!

~~Sasha