Epilogue

Funny, the way time passes.

In the moment, the times when nothing is happening seem to drag on slowly, lasting ten times longer than they really do. And yet, when you look back, years later, it's those exact times that you can hardly remember, that passed by so quickly.

I measure my life in moments, a common trait among the children of Athena. But, isn't that what life's all about? Every moment counts—it's just that some count more than others.

During the war, during my first year in school, there were so many moments. So many things to remember. So many once-in-a-lifetime events. Now, things have calmed down. Moments pass quickly.

I'm twelve years old. We never did celebrate my birthday, did we? Not that I would want to, anyway. Summer isn't the same at Camp-Half Blood. I realize that I'll be there every summer, now that my dad—now that he's—just say it. Now that my dad is dead.

I'm thirteen. Alone without Juli and Beth, I transfer to Ilvermorny after my second year trying to fit in at Hogwarts. It just isn't the same without my best friend. The other kids, especially Sadie, try to cheer me up, but it's no use.

I'm thirteen. I volunteer for every quest that comes up. Why bother staying alive? I don't fear death any more. Secretly, I hope for it. Maybe I'd be reunited with Juliana.

I'm fourteen. Ilvermorny isn't much better than Hogwarts, but at least I'm away from all the memories. I fit in—I don't have many friends, but I've managed to not be an outcast.

I'm fourteen, on another quest with Max. It's just the two of us this time. Has he always been this attractive?

I'm fifteen. Max is asking me out. Frozen in shock, I can't seem to move my mouth. I run off to my cabin, alone. I still don't have any friends. Not that I need any. I don't need friends.

I'm sixteen. Max, earnest and hopeful, is asking me again. "I can't," I choke out. "I'm sorry." I run again. I'm running away from everything these days. I don't know what else to do. I'm supposed to be smart, I'm supposed to be brave. I guess I'm not. Sorry, Mom. I've failed you. I know. I know, I know, I know!

I'm seventeen. Max won't quit because he knows there's more to it than I'm letting show. Finally, I break down, letting everything out, crying for the first time in ages. He holds me as I shake and sob and promises to help me.

I'm seventeen. I've never kissed a boy before today. It's magic, it's passion, it's love. Nervous but exhilarated, I take the chance and listen to my heart.

I'm nineteen. I've got my first job, a secretary of sorts in MACUSA. It's not the most exciting career, but it's a living.

I'm twenty and Max is on one knee. I can't believe it--he's proposing.

I'm twenty and I say yes.

I'm twenty-five. Max is asking about kids. I tell him no. I'm still afraid. Everyone close to me is still a target for a rogue Death Eater or the next big bad guy.

And the closer you get to someone, the worse it is to lose them.

I'm twenty-seven. Time is flying now. A girl knocks on my door. She says she's alone and afraid. She's been living on the streets for at least a few years. She tells me her mother died and she never met her father. She's desperate. And I think she's a demigod. I'm scared to take her in, but what can I do? Leave a little girl alone because of my selfish insecurities?

I'm thirty. Lizzie is a part of our life now. I've gotten used to having a daughter. She's finally been claimed by Hephaestus. She's showing signs of magic, too. I'm certain that she's a witch.

I'm thirty-one, and it's Lizzie's first day of school. I'm afraid for her, as any mother would be. I'm tempted to keep her home, lock her away like Rapunzel. But I know better than that. I hug her and wave goodbye, promising myself that she'll be safe at Ilvermorny. Although she was reserved when she first came to Max and me, she's grown to be confident and outgoing.

Besides, she can handle anything they throw at her. You know why?

She's a lot like me.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's the end! I hope you guys enjoyed this!

I probably won't be posting anything else until summer--I've got a lot of end-of-the-year projects. But until then, here's one last task for you: comment if your in any of these fandoms.

Harry Potter

Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus

anything by Gordon Korman

Miraculous (don't judge me!)

Pretty Little Liars (the books, not the TV show)

Hamilton

Rent

The Last Five Years

Wicked

Les Miserables (the musical, not the book)

In the Heights

Catch Me If You Can

and, lastly, Spring Awakening

That's all for now! Bye!

~mimi