My Fault

The next thing I know, I'm slumped against the wall, David and Sadie staring at me.

"Good, you're awake," says Sadie.

Oh, great, I fainted. Cross that off the bucket list. Then I remember what happened. Juliana. Oh, gods, if anything happens to her I'll never forgive myself. It's all my fault.

"This is all my fault," I say aloud.

"How could it possibly be your fault?" cries Sadie.

"Kids are disappearing left and right," I begin.

"Exactly!" David interjects.

"But only to make their parents behave," I continue.

"What are you saying?" Sadie asks. "It's not like she was kidnapped because of you!"

"But that's exactly what it is!" I say. "They want me to turn myself in."

"Turn yourself in? What for?" David asks.

"Well, you already know I'm a Muggle-born," I explain, "But there's a little more to it than that. My mom is technically a Muggle, but she's also Athena. As in—"

"The Greek goddess," Sadie breathes. "But how—"

"It's not important." Then I get an idea. "Wait, hold on. Fair warning: I'm going to stare at the wall for a minute or so."

Juliana! I concentrate so hard on the word that I double-check to make sure no one heard. Sadie and David aren't giving me weird looks, so I'm good.

Juliana! Can you hear me?

Mia, is that you? comes the faint reply.

You're alive!

Believe me, I'm just as surprised as you are.

Okay, I need you to concentrate really hard on an image of everyone you see.

Are you sure this will work?

No.

I get the picture almost immediately. I see a woman with wild curly dark hair who looks more than half insane, a man with long blond hair and a snide yet fearful expression, and a boy with pale blond hair, who looks like he's trying to look tough or something but is actually just uncertain. He looks about school age! I'll ask Beth tomorrow, if he just graduated, she might know or know of him.

Thank you so much, I tell my friend. Hang in there. We'll get you.

You're welcome. Please hurry.

That night, before I go to sleep, I pray that Juliana will be okay.

I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of me.

Chapter 16: Chapter 15: Draco Malfoy

I wake up in the morning with a sense of dread before I even consciously remember what happened. Juliana. Oh, gods. I'm so busy worrying about her that I don't even focus on my classes. I just do, I don't even think about it. Then comes detention. Great, I think to myself. On top of everything else.

But here's the thing—twice, I get hit. The impact nearly throws me out of my chair. But other than that, I don't feel a thing. I'm too devastated to think of anything but my best friend and what could happen to her.

I find Beth afterwards. "Beth, I don't know if you've heard, but-"

"Of course I've heard. It's all over the school. You've talked to her?"

"More than that. She gave me an image. And there's a boy who looks about your age. Do you recognize him?" I send her the image. Send—like a...what's the word? Email. I don't use technology, being a demigod and all.

Beth gasps. "This is not good!" she cries as soon as the image pops up on her brain.

"You recognize him?" I ask.

"Only a first-year wouldn't! That's Draco Malfoy! He tried to kill Dumbledore and almost succeeded, too!

"No," I say in disbelief. "That is just not possible. Not Dumbledore. No teenager could have even come close. No Hogwarts student would ever want to."

"I wish that were true."

If Draco Malfoy nearly killed Albus Dumbledore—who, based on what Beth told me, is one of the most skilled wizards of all time—then he must be more than capable of killing a first-year. I don't even want to think about it, so I head to my next class.

I'm so lost in thought trying to think of a plan that I run into this seventh-year gorilla. "Sorry," I mumble and try to continue on my way.

"Not so tough without your friend, are you?" he laughs. I ignore him. "Hey, did you hear me, runt?"

I look up. "I'm sorry, are you talking to me?" I ask.

"Yeah, you!"

"Oh." I look him right in the eye. "So you think you can walk all over me. You think you can crumble me up and tear me apart like a piece of paper." I don't know where my sudden courage—or stupidity—comes from, but I use it.

The guy almost nods, and I recognize him as Goyle. We've attracted a crowd. They've formed a little circle around us. I guess first-years don't stand up to seventh-years every day.

"Well, guess what?" My voice rises with every word. "You're wrong! I—"

"CRUCIO!" he shouts out of nowhere. It's so sudden that I almost don't even notice it.

I let out a cry of surprise and somehow manage to duck. "Stupefy!" I yell. He leans to the right. Then his face becomes a mask of absolute terror. "She tried to kill me!" he cries.

"Well, well, well. Fighting, are we?" says a voice.

This can't be good. I slowly turn around, preparing for the worst.

"Oh, dear," says Professor Snape.

Hey, it's me, the author! Here's my question of the day, and it's kind of a deep one: Think of your favorite character--from any book, movie, TV show, etc.--but don't comment who they are. Now, are they a lot like you, or are they your exact opposite?

My favorite character is confident, outgoing, and daring, not to mention kind of a "bad girl". I am none of those things--I'm incredibly shy, but I'm okay with that.

More action coming in the next chapter, but in the meantime, bye!

~~Sasha