Ralph's Secret

Professor Sprout gives us a breakdown of the assignment: We're studying some kind of plant that reminds me of sugar snap peas, and we have to break it open and collect the little beans inside, which are actually seeds that are used to grow some kind of potion ingredient that the fifth-years need. Since we're working in groups, I send Professor Sprout a faint message to put me with Juliana and Ralph, like a little seed. (Pun not intended!) One of those little notions that she'll barely notice until the time comes and she'll think she thought of it herself. It's so simple that it's almost scary.

As we break open the pods, I try to talk to Ralph, but he pretends to be busy with his plant. I hate to resort to direct telepathy, but I have no choice. Stop ignoring me, I tell him, but then he screams—in his head, don't ask me how—so loud that I lose my focus.

"What are you doing?" he shouts. Now heads turn. Ralph looks at Juliana. "Didn't you hear that?"

Juliana winks. "Didn't hear a thing."

If you can hear me, concentrate really hard on thinking, I can hear you, I communicate.

I can hear you, Ralph tells me.

Good.

This is so weird.

Can you keep working while we talk?

Sure.

We turn to our pods. You're hiding something, I say, straight to the point. What is it? Who are you?

Ralph curses, and it takes me a moment to realize it's in Ancient Greek. So he's a demigod? Should've known you'd realize, you're too smart. He looks around. Only you can understand me, right?

You couldn't do this with anyone else if you wanted to, I assure him.

Fine then. You won't tell anyone else?

I won't. I swear it on the river Styx. Oh, I curse as well, hopefully not letting him hear. If Ralph found out about my mom, I'd be dead meat. Then again, if he's a demigod--but how? I don't doubt that his brother is a pureblood, but...oh, they must be half-siblings. Ralph's dad must be a Greek god.

What? Ralph asks, interrupting my thinking.

Nothing. Anyway, what were you saying?

Alright, here goes...I'm an Element. I, um, don't expect you to know what that means.

I know what that means, I'm one myself! I sigh with relief before realizing no one else can hear Ralph. Oh, well, let them think I'm strange. Maybe it won't be so hard with another Element around.

Oh, good. I'm the Fire Element. What are you?

Telepathic.

I figured. Probably makes it easy to play Hide-and-Seek.

Or to do a search-and-rescue mission. I've done a few of those for missing demigods.

This is why you're a Gryffindor.

That's why you're a Slytherin.

"So?" asks Juliana after I quickly glance at her.

I smile. "I can't tell you."

But although I fall asleep as calm as I've ever been, the dreams come back.

First, it's just my father. I can't help feeling responsible for his death though, but if Voldemort is trying to get to me, doing something I can't prevent won't work for him.

Then, it changes. I see Voldemort himself. "You can't run forever, little girl!" he proclaims. "I will get you! Mark my words, I will hunt you down and kill you! I will-

At this point, I scare myself awake and just lie there until morning.

The weekend is fine. Monday's detention is a free-for-all. Cruciatus curses fly from Carrow and the Slytherins' wands. I think I must get hit twelve times. I'm so angry that I retaliate, letting curses--mostly Stunning Spells, I am only a first year--fly around the room in a red rage.

I make it all the way to winter break without any problems. I guess even monsters can't get into Hogwarts. I'm passing all my classes, aside from Muggle Studies and Defense Against the Dark Arts. The dreams even subside.

But no nightmare could compare to what happens next.

Hello! I just want to start off this author's note by saying a huge thank you to all five of my readers! (No, I'm not being sarcastic!) Thank you so much for your support as I attempt to write halfway-decent fanfiction.

Question: what is your Hogwarts house?

Strangers think I'm a Hufflepuff.

My friends think I'm a Ravenclaw.

But I'm actually...a Slytherin. Slytherin pride!!! And no, I am not evil. We get such a bad rep, it's really annoying!

That's all for today, byeeee!

~~Sasha