Five

Victoria.

The girl who was squished up against Shawn, and continued to give me dirty looks was named Victoria.

I had to hold back a laugh when she told me her name, since my best friend all through elementary school was also named Victoria, and from the way she was acting, it didn't look like we would be bonding over Lunchables any time soon.

"So, Rose, where are you from?" Kate, one of the more friendly girls there, asks me.

"Originally? Ohio." I respond, and Victoria snorts.

"Figures." I hear her mumble, and raise an eyebrow. I hated starting drama, but if someone wanted to start something with me, I'd be glad to finish it.

"Sorry, what was that?" I ask, and her eyes widen slightly, not expecting me to have responded to her remark.

"Oh, it just makes sense, with your fashion sense and all." She responses, and before I can answer, Ryan, one of the guys, speaks up.

"Vic, you two are wearing the same shorts." He tells her, and I smile at him in gratitude. From the look on Victoria's face, it seemed like she wouldn't be wearing those shorts in a while.

"So, what brings you to this wild town?" Harper asks, and I shrug, not wanting to answer truthfully.

"My mom couldn't find work back home, so we had to move over here." I answer, and she nods her head in understanding. I make eye contact with Shawn for a split second, and notice him staring at me in a confused way. He didn't believe me.

"What about your dad?" Victoria asks pressingly, and I look at her, noticing the smirk on her lips.

"Well,-" I begin, but am cut off.

"Tory, what's up with you being so up Rose's ass? Not everyone has such a strong, passionate feeling for Shawn like you do, so quit guarding him by attacking her." Connor says accusingly, and I make a mental note to thank him once we leave.

"I'll be right back." Victoria says, before motioning Ellie to go with her, probably to the bathroom.

Once she's gone, I begin to speak.

"Thanks for that." I say, and Connor laughs.

"It's no problem, Vicky just hasn't gotten used to you yet." He replies, and Ryan, Harper, and Kate all nod their heads.

"When Theo and I first moved here, she hated both of us with a passion." Kate tells me, referring to her twin brother, who was way too interested in his milkshake at the moment.

"Well, she seems like a total sweetheart." I reply, before looking at the glass windows and noticing that it was beginning to get dark outside, and since I barely know my way here in the day time, I'm pretty sure it's going to be hard for me to get back when it's pitch black outside. Not to mention that I told my mom I would be back before it was ten pm (currently, it was nine, but I had no clue how long it would take me to get home in the dark).

"Not going to lie, this was pretty fun, but I've got to get home before it's dark out and my mom starts to wonder if I was either murdered, kidnapped or both." I say, standing up, and instantly, Shawn does the same.

"I'll walk you home." He says, and I shake my head.

"Thanks, but then you'll have to walk by yourself home. Which would suck for you."

"I know this town, you don't, remember?" He says, and I can tell that no matter what I say, he would be walking me back home. After a while, I give in, realizing that I would be spending a lot more time arguing with him than actually going.

"Goodnight guys." I say to my new friends, and they all say goodnight back before I turn around to follow Shawn out the door.

As I walk out, I can't help but notice Victoria's intense glare as she walks down the hallway and towards the table.

Yeah, she definitely would not be my best friend.

"Can I be completely honest with you?" I ask Shawn, and he nods his head.

"Go for it."

"Now, no offense to you at all, but your girlfriend's kind of a bitch." I say truthfully, and I watch as he tilts his head back and laughs.

"She can be a bitch sometimes, you're right." He replies, and I stay silent, focused on the empty streets and sidewalk.

"Oh," Shawn says after a while of silence, and I stop walking to look at him. "by the way, Vicky's not my girlfriend."

"Which is why she was so obsessed with you tonight?"

"She's obsessed with me all day, every day. I can't help that I'm a kind, heroic gentleman."

"Don't forget to add self centered to your list." I mumble jokingly, and he smirks.

"Hey, do you have to be home right now?" He asks, and I check the time (9:17) before answering that no, I don't.

"Then we've got to take a short detour." Shawn replies, and before I can ask where we're going, he grabs my arm and pulls me in the other direction before beginning to jog.

"Any reason why we're running?" I ask, still hyper aware of Shawn's hand on my arm.

"We're gonna miss it!" Is all he responds with.

However, we didn't miss "it". Because at 9:20 we were standing beside the board walk, staring at the empty, moon lit beach.

"What is-" I begin to ask, but he shushes me, pointing towards the beach.

At the end of the board walk, a girl in a long flowing dress appeared, and began to walk silently.

"What's going on?" I whisper to Shawn, and he smiles at me mischievously.

"No idea. This girl just walks around the boardwalk at 9:21, all pale, like the blood was drained out of her. She's whispered about her sister and some necklace once or twice. I know everybody in this town, except for her." He responds, whispering, and I feel a chill go down my spine.

"So, ghost or vampire?" I ask jokingly, and he rolls his eyes.

"I don't actually believe in those. Okay, maybe I believe in ghosts just a little, but only because of this girl."

"Just because she's albino and likes to take nightly walks?" I question, and he rolls his eyes at me.

"No, she talks about the hotel."

"The hotel?"

"A hotel used to be built here, way back when. It got burnt down, and barely anyone knows about it. But here this girl is. She's either a ghost, or a serious freak." Shawn whispers into my ear, and I notice the girl coming closer and closer now.

By the time she's only a few feet away from us I'm back up close to Shawn, holding onto his arm like a life line. As she walks away, something of hers drops, and I bend down to see what it was.

A silver chain necklace, with a sapphire shaped as a tear drop.

"Oh, excuse me? You dropped you neck-" I begin, but stop when I look up to see the girl who had been walking was gone.

And when I look back down, so was the necklace.

A/N
WHO WAS THE GIRL?????? #studyingatmripme2017