Twenty

"What was that for?"

"You had frosting on your lips."

"So you had to kiss me?" I say, laughing, and Shawn shrugs.

"How else are you supposed to get rid of it? And may I just say, your kissing skills may be your best skill yet." He says jokingly.

I roll my eyes at him, a small smile on my lips. We had been sitting on my bedroom floor for a while now, just speaking with each other while finishing the last bites of our cake slices.

"So, there's a carnival tomorrow." Shawn begins, and I look from my plate to him, interested on what he was going to say.

"And?"

"And it's about twenty minutes away. Everyone else is going but I figured I would have to ask you before Harper did and you stayed with them the whole time."

"I don't know Shawn. I mean, Harper and Kate are some pretty good company. How will you top theirs?" I ask him, suppressing a smile as he looked confused for a moment, then answering.

"I'll buy you Italian ice."

"Lemon?"

"If that's what you want."

"Shawn, I just realized that I don't feel a friendship between Harper or Kate and me any longer. I guess I'll just have to go with you." I tell him, exhaling a deep sigh as if this option was forced upon me.

He laughs quietly, shaking his head before beginning to speak again.

"So, just wondering, but how would you feel if I asked you to spend the rest of this wonderful evening at the boardwalk with me?"

"Hm, great question. I guess it all depends if I'm allowed to have ice cream there without you judging me." I answer, and he looks confused before the joke clicks and he groans.

"I don't know. Are you going to get vanilla?"

"Now that you mentioned it, I think I just might. If there's a problem with that though, I don't have to join you at the boardwalk. I'm sure you'll be fine by yourself."

"You're a really difficult person." Shawn says, looking at me with a small grin.

"I know."

"Will you come if I say that being difficult is your best skill?"

"What happened to kissing being my best skill?" I question, and he gives a smile that if I was standing, in sure my legs would turn to jello.

"Must have forgotten. Care to give me another sample?"

I held myself back from laughing, and instead stared at my open door before leaning in towards Shawn. The second our lips are almost touching I pull back, smiling.

"Mom! What are you doing here?!"

Shawn's eyes widen, his whole body doing a fast one eighty degree turn before noticing that the doorway was empty, and then turning back to look at me checking my nails innocently.

"That was cruel."

I laugh at him, before blowing an air kiss and getting up, grabbing both our empty plates and walking downstairs.

"And you haven't noticed anything strange lately? No cars, or-" I hear, and begin to announce my presence so that Shawn wouldn't hear the conversation that I didn't know was still going on downstairs.

"Hey, Mom! Shawn and I are going to the boardwalk, okay?" I tell her, throwing away the paper plates and walking to the shoe rack to slip on my flip flops.

"Yes, that's fine. Be back before dark and stay with Shawn." She tells me, her face drained and tired. She hasn't been like this in a while, and as I walked out the door I couldn't help but hope that her mood was only temporary.

I turn to see Shawn catching up to my side, before he begins to speak about the boardwalk, purposely directing the conversation away from what I knew he wanted to ask about. I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

When we reach the boardwalk, I instantly move towards the ice cream shop, Shawn opening the door as I walk in to the air conditioned building.

"Hi, how may I help you guys?" A middle aged woman stood behind the counter, her smile friendly. I smiled back as Shawn and I walked up to her.

"We have a new flavor in today! Caramel Brûlée, and I have to say that it's absolutely to die for. Would you like a sample?" The woman asks, and I almost declined before noticing that she already had a spoon out with the flavor on it, so I grabbed it and thanked her, then trying the ice cream.

I had to turn my head from Shawn to hide my surprise.

This was good. I mean, I would never tell Shawn that of course, since in his eyes I'm a satanic vanilla worshipper, but I think he could tell, because after trying his sample, he made a decision I would have to thank him later for.

"Two of those, please."

When the cones were in our hands and we had payed, (I forced Shawn to let me at least pay for mine, agreeing that next time we go some place I would let him pay) we walked out of the shop.

As we began to walk, I turned my head so that I could secretly take a lick of the ice cream without Shawn crying over how unfaithful I was to my one "bland, boring flavor". It wasn't that I was afraid of what he would think, it was just that my pride was much to strong to let him prove me wrong when I said that vanilla was my only flavor.

"It's already getting dark?" I say, groaning, and Shawn laughs.

"You'll be home soon. Kind of hurt your mom doesn't trust me after all this long and hard work I've put to get brownie points from her." Shawn responds, and I shake my head.

"You can stay over for a while when we come to my house. It's not that she doesn't trust you, really. It's just that..." My words trail off, and I lick my ice cream once again, not wanting to explain anything to Shawn right now.

He seems to get the message though, because he gives me a warm smile before continuing to speak, changing the subject.

"As long as I get to stay for dinner, that's a deal." Shawn tells me, and I laugh before noticing the big ferris wheel and pointing at it.

"Shall we?"

"Oh, but that means I'll be stuck at the top with you. Not to mention your mom might hang me at the top if you're not home in the next twenty minutes."

"That's all the time it takes to ride it. And don't act like you don't want to be stuck with me at the top." I say, biting off some of my cone before standing still.

Shawn noticed the same time as me, and groaned. It was Victoria, walking this way with some guy who looked way too old for her. She couldn't see us yet, but I didn't doubt her Shawn Radar for a second. It seems that neither did he, because he grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers together before walking towards the ferries wheel.

"You know, on second thought? I think the Ferris wheel isn't so bad of an idea."

so if u could have a sequel to any one of my stories which would it be