Eight

"Pizza's here!"

Instantaneously, Shawn drops the paint roller into the tray, and rushes down stairs, me not too far behind.

"You guys get Marco's Pizza?" Shawn asks, surprised.

"Well, we haven't been here long enough to taste taste all two pizza places yet." I answer, and he rolls his eyes at me playfully.

"No, you've made the right choice. Don't even bother going to Winston's place. I know my pizza, and Winston's is not the place to go." Shawn tells my mother and I, and she laughs, amused.

"We'll make sure not to step foot in there, Shawn." She replies, before grabbing a slice and walking off to finish Cole's room. (Why? I have no clue. He should finish the room once he comes back.)

"So." Shawn says, after my mother is gone and it's just us sitting down.

"So?"

"I don't know, I was just trying to start the conversation so that it wasn't just all awkward silence." He answers, and I laugh.

"I think you've made it even worse than if it was just awkward silence."

"No, it's a bit better." He tells me, before pulling a cookie- scratch that- the cookie out of his pocket, and opening its wrapper before smiling to himself.

"That's so immature of you." I say after groaning, and cross my arms.

"I won, fair and square."

"Liar. Your sister told me about that little dollar you slipped her." I retort stubbornly, and his eyes widen in surprise of me knowing.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Of course you don't." Giving him a deal pan look, I eat the last bit of my pizza before getting up from my plate to get a cup of water.

When I come back and sit down, Shawn is eating the remains of his cookie, and before I can decide how long my silent treatment will be towards him, I look down to find half of the cookie on my plate.

When I raise my gaze to look at Shawn, he's watching me with an unamused expression, before slowly smiling and looking away.

"I could hug you right now." I say, before biting into the soft cookie in pure happiness.

"What's stopping you?" He replies, giving me a playful wink.

"I'm finishing the room, toodles!" Pushing myself up from the chair, I wave goodbye to Shawn, before walking to the dining room to finish painting the last wall.

"Not without me!" He hollers back, and I can hear his footsteps following me.

A moment after I pick up my roller, Shawn walks into the room and repeats my actions. We painted the wall silently for a minute before a conversation began.

"What color are your eyes?" He asks, and I look at him strangely.

"Look for yourself."

"No, I mean, when people ask you, what do you say back? I don't answer 'brown'." He replies.

"So you lie?"

"Lie? No. But I do make it sound way cooler. Like, my eyes are deep, dark chocolate sea with golden sun ray falling upon."

"They're brown." I tell him, wiping a strand of hair off my face.

"Just like how the paint you just got on your face is white." Shawn replies, and wipes my face with his thumb before speaking again.