Facing Mistakes

Dumbledore arrived within seconds of getting Sirius's patronus. He was the only person who could apparate inside Hogwarts grounds. "Sirius, what happened?" Dumbledore demanded.

Sirius frantic said "I don't know! Just please help me! Help me save them!"

Dumbledore ran to James and checked for a pulse. "He's still alive! What about her?"

"Yes she's alive but she's very weak!" Sirius informed Dumbledore.

"I've got him, bring her over here!" Dumbledore ordered. Sirius stood with the lifeless Lily and met Dumbledore. "Ok son, I'm going to apparate all of us to St. Mungos. Dont let go of me or her! Do you understand Sirius?" Dumbledore questioned.

"Yes sir, please lets go quickly!" Sirius begged. With a loud pop they appeared inside St. Mungos hospital.

The hospital staff took no time taking James and Lily from Dumbledore and Sirius. As the nurse started to leave with Lily, Sirius yelled at the nurse who was several feet from him "She's pregnant!” The nurse looked back and nodded to show she had heard him and kept going.

Sirius fell to the ground, he looked at his hands that were covered in Lily's blood, he screamed "No!" and began to sob uncontrollably.

Dumbledore placed his hands on Sirius's back and let him sob for a few moments then told him. "Come with me Sirius." Sirius was in a daze and let Dumbledore lead him. Dumbledore lead them into a nearby waiting room. He sat Sirius in a chair and gave him a moment to compose himself.

After Dumbledore thought enough time had passed he asked Sirius did "Remus do this?”

Sirius's head shot up and said "No! This was not Remus! Remus is asleep in the shack! I fed him a steak full of sleeping draught! Have someone check. He's been out for hours!"

"I believe you Sirius. Do you know who did this?" Dumbledore asked.

"I have no idea but when I find out I'm killing the bastard!" Sirius retorted.

"Calm down Sirius, we will find out who did this and they will be punished. We can't have you sent to Azkaban! James and Lily need you here." Dumbledore said softly.

Sirius couldn't stand the waiting, he was pacing the floor, he couldn't think of a life without Lily or James. 

Dumbledore sat quietly and watched Sirius.

Hagrid peered inside and quietly asked "Professor can I come in for a moment?"

Dumbledore nodded and asked "Did you find anything?"

Hagrid shook his head and said "Only this sir." holding out a very expensive bottle of whiskey "I found this at the edge of the woods."

Dumbledore took the bottle and examined it."Take this back with you, please put it in my office."

Hagrid nodded and turned to leave then stopped and spoke to Sirius "I checked on Remus for you. He's still asleep. When he wakes up I'll tell him where you are."

Sirius finally stopped his pacing and said "Thank you Hagrid."

Hagrid said "You're welcome. Sirius, please.... please tell Lily.... well just tell her I stopped by." Hagrid walked out sniffling.

Sirius was becoming agitated "Why aren't they telling us anything?" he said rather loudly.

"Sirius they are doing all they can. They will let us know something as soon as possible." Dumbledore said placing his hand on Sirius's back.

The sun was rising. There was still no word on either Lily nor James. Sirius and Dumbledore were sitting in silence when Remus walked in. "How are they?" Remus looking frantic at both men.