Patronus Charms

"Lils there's a small problem with that. It's not ideal to try teaching 3 people to cast a full bodied patronus in this small space." Sirius informed her.

Lily looked around. Sirius had a point "Well we go outside then!"

Severus immediately stiffened "Lily sweetheart you are not simply walking out the door unprotected."

Lily turned on heel to face Severus "Well Sweetheart" dripping with sarcasm "You are the only one with the privilege of knowing where we are. You said we were safe here. Why can't we go outside?"

Severus drew a deep breath and narrowed his eyes "You are safe! Inside the house! I can't magically protect the entire country!"

Lily rolled her eyes and put her hand on her hip "You're telling me you don't know one spell that we could use to hide us for a few hours outside?"

Severus sneered at her "Yes, I do. You are safer in the house. I know you though you won't give up! Give me a few minutes! Insufferable witch!"

Lily smiled innocently and said "Thank you darling!" Severus went to his room closed the door and called for Shelby. "Yes, Master Snape." She answered. "Shelby can you quickly scan the grounds and make sure we are alone please." He asked the little elf. "Yes, Master Snape" pop and she was gone. Several minutes later she returned to inform him that she could find no trace of magic or other persons on the entire grounds. Severus dismissed her and grudgingly took them outside. He lead them to a beautiful flat area of lush grass he stood pointed his wand skyward and cast "Protego Maxima". He looked around suspiciously then finally let out the breath he did know he was holding. "Happy now Miss Evans?" he asked.

"Very!" she smiled back at him.

"What did you cast?" Remus asked.

"A charm to hide us from view of the outside world. No one can see or hear us within the barrier." Severus answered.

"Pretty cool!" Sirius chimed in.

"Sev where are we? It's beautiful here." Lily pleaded for an answer.

"Lily I'm not sure I can or should tell you. Just know you are safe here and enjoy it and focus on learning how to cast a patronus." Severus answered then kissed her on the forehead.

Lily rolled her eyes then looked to Sirius "Ok charms teacher. Get to it! What do we do?"

Sirius was the only one capable of casting a full-bodied patronus. Dumbledore taught Sirius and James in case they ever needed him quickly on full moon nights with Remus. Sirius wasn't the best teacher so he did as Dumbledore had done with him. "Ok, so Dumbledore taught me how to do this so he could be quickly reached in case anything ever went wrong with Remus. When he first taught me he told me that this charm was once only used to drive away dementors or other dark creatures but somehow he figured out how to send messages with it. First you have to be able to cast a full-bodied patronus. It will take the form of some animal that resembles something of yourself. We'll work on that before sending a message with it." Sirius said in his most teacher like voice. Sirius placed Lily and Remus where he wanted them then looked to Snape to direct him where to stand only to find Snape pale and looking at everything but the group. "Snape, You're supposed to learn this too man." Sirius said trying to pull him into the group.

Severus looked at him and shook his head "I can't."

Sirius knitted his eyebrows "Why not?"

Severus cocked his head to one side looking at Sirius like he had lost his mind "Dark wizards can't cast a patronus charm. I assume Dumbledore forgot to tell you that."