Chapter 3 - A Damsel tired of Distress

"But, when you spend every day with Captain Fantastic, he becomes a little less fantastic."

~ April Watson

April Watson woke up with her arms hanging above her head, tied to the ceiling of a dark room. Oddly enough, this was a normal experience for her.

No, she was not a BDSM artist, nor was she a stunt woman. April was just a regular girl.

(Regular being a relative term.)

You see, April Watson was what you might call a damsel in distress. Not by choice, mind you, but by circumstance. If April had it her way, she'd be at home with no connection whatsoever to Kingdom City's favorite hero, White Knight.

White Knight was the reason she was hanging to the ceiling of a dark room, and part of the reason why she couldn't live a normal life. You see, super villains and superheroes didn't really like each other that much. And, to get back at the hero for ever trying to arrest them, the villain usually tried to hurt someone close to the hero. It's a common trope. And, for White Knight, that meant April.

She had been kidnapped, hogtied, thrown off of buildings, and poisoned more times than she could count. And she'd been saved, released, rescued, and recovered just as many times by White Knight.

At this point she was surprised that the media hadn't gotten tired of her, or of White Knight always having to save her from some villain or another. She for one was sick of it, was no one else?

Being tied up for long periods of time hurt. April was pretty sure she still had rope burns from the last time Black Knight kidnapped her. At least that time he had the curtesy to tie her to a chair instead of hanging her from the ceiling above a shark tank.

Yeah, that was a new one.

April wondered for a moment if Black Knight had tried to install laser eyes into the sharks, like she'd seen in a movie once. He was already crazy, so she wouldn't put it past him.

April let out a big sigh and Black Knight turned around from his stance in the front of the room. He grinned widely, but his scarred face made it look more like a grimace. "Miss Watson, how lovely to see that you're awake."

April knew this performance by heart. She blew a piece of her hair out of her face and gave him the most condescending look she could muster. "You might as well call me April, Black Knight." She reasoned. "I mean – it's not like we haven't been in these kinds of positions before."

He grinned wider and she flinched. He did really look horrifying when he did that.

"Aren't you right, Miss Watson? We've had such fun together over the years, haven't we?"

"Yes," she deadpanned, "I've had such fun being tied to subway tracks and almost drowning in a tanks of water."

He chuckled. "I believe you have, Miss Watson."

Did April mention that he was a bit off of his rocker?

Black Knight was his super villain name, which was very fitting because White Knight and he were sworn enemies. Whenever she asked who came first, they both claimed it was themselves and that the other one was the copier of the name.

His real name was Anakin McPhail (kid you not), and he didn't make it a public thing, for obvious reasons. His father was Lex McPhail, better known as Doctor Destruction, legendary nemesis to April's father, Captain Fantastic.

Now, let her stop there, just in case you're confused.

Yes, her dad is a super famous superhero.