Chapter 10 - Villains aren't that bad

"Technically I'm not breaking and entering, I'm just entering. Your window was open, which isn't the smartest decision considering that there is a maniac who breaks into teenage girl's rooms on the loose according to you."

~ Connor Collins (The Marvel)

April loved taking her college courses, much unlike all of the other students she knew. She liked them because they gave her a sense of normalcy. A sense that she was like other teenagers her age. When she was taking down notes and learning about psychology terms she was just a normal everyday teenager, not the daughter of a famous superhero or the damsel to a different favorite superhero. It was something that made her feel real, just for a second.

It helped that she excelled in the course as well. Psychology was a concept she understood. She wasn't meant for the world of spandexed heroes like everyone else in her family, and that was okay.

"The 'Little Albert' case study is one of the most famous in psychology," April's professor stated, pointing to his PowerPoint slide. "He was an eleven-month old baby. Now, can anyone tell me what happened to him?"

April raised her hand.

The professor smiled, "Yes?"

"Well, John Watson and his assistant deliberately attempted to instill certain fears into Little Albert through conditioning. This 1920 study became notorious for being so unethical, purposely installing fears into a little baby. No one really knows what the true identity of Little Albert was, but today it is thought that he was a William A Barger, who died in 2007."

Professor Ward never lost his smile, "I see someone did last night's reading. You should all take Miss Watson's example." He walked back to his desk and looked at all of his students. "Now, remember your own case studies are due by the end of the semester. I expect great things from all of you."

The bell rang and everyone rushed to leave the class, but April stayed a bit longer, taking time to pack her things.

"Miss Watson, can I see you for a second?"

April paled. She hadn't chosen a case study yet and she was afraid Professor Ward was going to lecture on her inability to choose.

"Sir, I swear I'm closer to finding a test subject. I know that this thing is a big part of my grade."

He shook his head. "It is. It's also a big step towards receiving your degree. Are you sure you don't want to choose your masked friend?"

April sighed. Of course everyone's dream subject for a study like this was a superhero. How does having certain powers affect the brain and behavior? Especially a high profile person like White Knight? But April didn't want to be known as that girl who was always associated with the hero. She wanted to create an identity separate from him. She didn't want to have to piggy back off of him for her own success. She wanted to prove she could make a name for herself without having to be a super or a super's girlfriend.

"I'm absolutely sure."

He nodded, like this was what he was expecting. "Well, a recent opportunity just came up and I was contacted to see if anyone I know would like to interview a certain high profile prisoner in Alcatraz. I thought it'd be perfect for my best student to try. You're always saying how you want to expand your horizons, this would be the perfect opportunity."

April's eyes widened. A prisoner who was a super villain? It would be the perfect exposure for her. She grew up in a household of superheroes, so expanding her horizons was exactly what talking to a super villain would do for her. The only problem was her father would never allow poor breakable April talk to someone as evil as a super villain.