¹2 : Full Chapter

Chae stood up slowly as her eyes scanned her white bedroom door. The darkness of the night was not helping her at all. She lifted her right hand; looked at her watch. 2:35 am.

"J-Jen? Is that you?"

Silence.

The only answer for her question was the silence of the night, and her heart screamed at her to stay back; wait for the sun to rise, greeting the earth with a new day.

But her mind said otherwise.

"Jen? You're there right?" With soft steps, she walked further towards the door. Sweat dripping from her forehead, her heartbeat beating faster than a racecar. Her hands were trembling, and once again, the deafening silence answered her question.

Suddenly, the sound of her phone's ringtone filled the room. Her eyes roamed around the room frantically, and landed down on the only source of light in the dark room. Her phone.

But as she was about to go and answer the call, a soft voice spoke, "Chae, it's me. Jen."

Chae's petite body frozed, stopping her from walking away and answering the call. She debated in her head, whether to open the door, or answer the call.

But, the call, it might be the creepy guy.

Shaking her head, she shook off the thought that passed her mind for a second. It can't be. Deciding to check her phone, she stepped closer to her bed, to her phone.

But, once again, she stopped. She was breathing heavily, her hand was clutching her chest, face distorted in agony. Her body felt heavy, as if there was someone on top of her. After a few minutes of torture, everything went back to how it was.

Chae sat down on the floor, hugging her knees. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Chae, calm down.

The knocking on the door kept going, on and on, without any sign of stopping. The call from the unknown person was still ongoing, the sound of her ringtone filled the room. Suddenly, Chae grabbed her phone, and threw it out of the window. She needed silence. She was trying to think, but it was too chaotic for her to even think properly.

"Chae! What are you doing inside? Open the damn door! I came here because you told me to and why are you refusing to open the door? I've been knocking for 5 minutes already! CHAE, HURRY UP BEFORE I KILL YOU!" Jen's voice from outside of her room brought her back to reality; she looked around, her eyes widened. Everything was normal. The lights were on, her phone was still sitting on her bed. Was that just in my head? No, it can't be. It was too real.

"CHAE!"

Standing up, Chae fasten her pace towards the door, and opened it. Jen's annoyed face greeted her, and for once in a million years, she was relieved and happy to see Jen in front of her with an annoyed expression on her face. An annoyed Jen is never a good news.

Chae sighed heavily, muttering something under her breath. She took Jen's hand and pulled her inside, closing the door afterwards quickly. Jen looked at her, eyebrow raised; demanding an explanation of what happened.

"Why didn't you open the door quickly? I thought my hand was about to fall off because of knocking the door too many times," Jen complained, resting her body on Chae's bed. She grabbed Chae's pillow and hugged it tightly, closing her eyes.

Chae sat on the corner of her bed, her heart was still beating fast. She wouldn't be surprised if Jen can even hear her heartbeat. Suddenly, Jen pulled her hand, making her fall on her own bed. The girl laughed, sitting up properly again.

"Woah, your hand is so cold. Look at the sweat on your forehead! Child, were you exercising earlier?" Jen said, a worried expression appeared on her face. She touched Chae's forehead, not minding the sweat on it.

"I-I'm glad you're here now," Chae said, with a shaky voice.

Jen smiled slightly, hitting her best friend's shoulder softly. "What's with the sudden confession? Trying to say that you like me, huh? That kind of confession is not so good, I'm disappointed," she joked around, grinning widely.

Chae smiled, but her eyes were still full of worry. She was worried of her friend's safety. Keeping Jen beside her in a time like this could lead to her death. She didn't want to become the selfish friend who keeps their friends beside them during dangerous moments. It's okay with her if her own self will be killed, but not her friend. After all, for her,  Jen's life is more important than her own life.

"Nothing, actually. I think I was just imagining things again, you can go back to your house now," Chae said quietly. Her eyes were watering, but she stayed strong. For her friend's life.

"Are you sure? I can accompany you if you're scared," Jen asked, trying to get a confirmation from her friend. Chae stood up, nodding.

"I'm going to the toilet, would appreciate it if you would go home right now. Being with me isn't safe, I can feel it."

"C-chae.."

"I'll contact you later, see you. Oh, and please leave the spare key here,"

Walking off, she opened the toilet's door and stepped in. After locking the door, Chae broke down, weeping silently against the wooden door.