Chapter 3 - He'll Be Fine.

Liam POV

I woke up later in a hospital bed. Bandages on both my arms. My whole body ached and my head pounded. My throat felt like I swallowed nails.

Than suddenly I remembered what happened.

I looked around and found Harry next to my bed. He was crying.

"Harry?" I asked. My pulse started rising and my hands started shaking.

His head shot up and he weakly smiled. "Liam." He said. He hugged me tight and cried.

"Where's Zayn?" I asked.

Harry let go and sat down. "ICU."

"What?" I said. I was really starting to freak out and imagines from the event flashed in my mind.

"He has a concussion. Or something. I don't know. And his brain was bleeding." Harry stuttered.

"What?"

"He had a seizure. They're not sure why yet. But they drained the blood and he's going into surgery tomorrow to get it all fixed."

"A seizure?" I said in disbelief.

"That's why he was in so much pain. And threw up." He explained.

I sat in silence for a while. Taking in everything he said.

"Where are Louis and Niall?" I asked. "Is Niall okay?" I asked concerned.

"He's fine. They went home to get us clothes."

"He didn't say anything?" I asked, recalling how hard I kicked him and his scream of pain.

"He said its fine. He wasn't mad at you."

"What time is it?" I asked.

"3 in the morning." Harry said.

I didn't quite understand Harry's mood. If Zayn was just getting surgery he should be fine... Right?

"Why are you so upset?" I asked Harry.

He didn't answer me. He looked at the floor.

"Tell me." I said sternly.

"The surgery's risky." He said almost incoherently.

"What do you mean." I asked. Now I was getting nervous. My granddad died in brain surgery when I was 5.

Again Harry didn't answer.

"Harry." I begged. "please answer me."

"There's a 40% chance that he'll lose everything." He said quickly and softly.

He tears started again. But for some reason I didn't cry. Because I didn't believe him.

"What do you mean everything." I asked.

"Everything." Harry repeated. "His whole personality. Most of his memory. It'll all be gone." He cried louder. I sat up and hugged him. He cried hard into my shoulder. But I still didn't believe it.

Zayn'll be fine. He'll make it. He's Zayn.

"He'll be fine." I said, I believed it too. He has to be fine.

He can't forget us.

...

The boys came and gave us new clothes. I changed and took Niall off to the side.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"Liam really its nothing." He assured me.

"No. It is. I shouldn't have done that. You were helping me. And I hurt you.."

"Liam." He said taking my shoulders. "I'm fine."

I tried to smile but I couldn't.

"When can we see Zayn?" I asked the doctor.

"You can see him now." He said, "But he's not conscience."

"I don't care." I said. He lead us off to Zayn's ICU room.

"I warn you though. He doesn't look good."

I opened the door to the tiny room. There was a bed and a chair.

I walked in and saw Zayn. He was on the bed with a million tubes and needles in him.

That's when I broke.

My knees buckled from underneath me and fell to the ground.

Zayn was on the bed with a tube down his throat just so he could breath.

He was so pale and small. He looked almost lifeless. I started crying. Sobbing really. I covered my eyes with my hands and wiped away tears.

Someone came next to me and wrapped their arm around me.

Now is when I realised that a 60% chance he'll be okay really isn't good enough.

He could die right now in that bed. While I'm right here next to him.

He could die during surgery.

Maybe even worse, he could live and not even know who he is.

He could come out and never be the same Zayn.

I cried harder.

I can't lose Zayn. I can't. I won't be able to live. His sense of humour. His voice. Even his "Vas Happening." that bothered the crap out of me. I would kill for anything to hear him say it. Or to hear him make fun of my hair. Or to hear him laugh at Louis' rude jokes.

I want to hear his voice. More than anything. More than the world. I want him to wake up and say my name. Or say hello. Or even just to say goodbye.

I reached out and lightly took his hand. It was freezing cold.

I felt sick from all my crying but I couldn't stop. I dropped his hand and covered my face again.

The person next to me pulled me into their shoulder.

I realised now it was Louis.

"Please god." I whispered, "Please don't take him away." I cried. "Please." I pleaded.

Because right now, at this moment, there was no ignoring it. There was no "just best mates."

Because now there is no reason to deny it.

I am in love with Zayn Malik.

And he may never find out.