Chapter 4 - Don't Go

Liam POV

I stayed in Zayn's room for the whole day. I started blankly at his pale, weak body. His looked like a doll, that some kid had tossed aside and left.

He looked so broken.

The other boys came and joined me.

"I should've said something." I said quietly. The other boys turned to me.

"You didn't know it'd be this bad." Niall said.

"No one did." Harry assured.

But that didn't help.

"But I knew! I watched him fall and hit his head. I watched him fight back tears. I watched ... And it's my fault."

"Liam." They all said, "It's not."

"Why didn't you tell us?" I asked down towards him. "Why didn't you tell us it hurt that bad? Why didn't you tell someone." I started crying again. "Why."

The other boys came around and hugged me. They all fought back there tears.

Suddenly I spoke and regretted it instantly.

"What if he doesn't make it?" I asked.

All the boys looked at me. "He will." Harry said.

I shook my head. "We don't know that."

"Zayn's strong." Louis said. "He'll make it."

I cried harder. A nurse came in.

"You're going to have to leave soon boys." She said.

They all nodded and started to leave. I stayed.

I looked at Zayn and took his hand.

"Please don't leave us." I whispered."Please don't leave me."

Silence.

"I love you." I whispered.

Silence.

Than suddenly, his heart rate spiked. He started going really fast.

I stepped back.

No. I thought.

"No Zayn no!" I begged. I grabbed his hand and got down next to the bed. Doctors started rushing in.

"No Zayn please!" I begged. "Don't fucking leave me! Don't fucking leave us!" I screamed.

Someone started pulling me out of the room. I fought against them but gave in.

Than he flatlined.

"Zayn don't!" I screamed.

I was pulled out of the door and it was shut. Louis came and grabbed me. He pulled me in tight.

I looked through the glass as doctors rushed around. Watched them put something on his chest causing him to lurch up and violently slam back down.

Nothing.

So they did it again. His body arching with the shock. Than slamming down.

Nothing.

"No! No don't die!" I screamed slamming the window again and again.

Again.

Nothing.

"No! No!" I screamed. "No." I whispered. Louis cried into my shoulder.

"Don't leave." I begged quietly through my tears. I slammed the windows hard. It was actually hurting me a lot but I couldn't stop.

Someone came and grabbed my hands. They hugged me tight.

I stared into the room unable to fight. All I could think was that was my best friend laying there.

Dead.

A doctor looked up at the clock on the wall.

"No! NO!" I tried breaking free.

I leaned my head onto the glass watched my breath fog it up. I cried softly and tried to catch my breath. My breath fogged up vision and I couldn't wipe it away.

The doctors charged the paddles again.

Than a doctor closed the shade.

Niall and Harry joined our hug. They held me tight. I stopped screaming a whispered to the glass,

"Please God. Please don't take him. Please I need him please please please. Don't kill my best friend."

I started to fall but the boys caught me.

I started at the red curtain before slowly backing away from it.

The boys let go of me.

My best friend.

Dead.

And I couldn't even try...

To save him.

I back up until I hit wall. I started at the curtain. Hoping it would open.

Hoping Zayn would open it and smile and say, "Just kidding!"

But it didn't.

"Please come back." I whispered.

Than I slide down the wall and grabbed me knees tight.

"Please." I begged. Than I cried harder.

"Please don't die." I screamed.

I cried until someone opened the door.

My head shot up and a doctor looked down at me.

"So?" Niall asked.

"He's stable." He said.

We let out a sigh of relief.

"For now. But no more visits."

...

Zayn POV

Ever since the incident I suppose I must be unconscious. I feel distant from my actually body. Like in not in my skin.

I heard things around me. But kind of morphed and wordless.

That is until the boys came in.

They were all talking about me. Liam was saying it was his fault.

"No!" I tried to yell to him. But in this sea of darkness I was in, there were no sounds.

I tried desperately to speak, to move my mouth. Something. What Liam was saying broke my heart to pieces.

It wasn't his fault. It was mine. He needed to know that.

I fought and fought with this insane surrounding. But I couldn't move my own body.

When the boys left I could feel Liam still here. I could feel the guilt he had.

Than he whispered "I love you."

I went insane. I needed to wake up. Tell him I loved him. Tell him I'm sorry. I fought and fought and fought until my something snapped. I started to hear things, even feel things, but suddenly I was sucked right back down, fast.

My pulse rose and Liam left.

Doctors swarmed me. But I still fought to wake up. To move. To speak.

Than I gave up. And the darkness surrounded me once more.

...