Chapter Ten

"Thank you, again, for lettin' us come out, Paige." Lacey said, giving Paige a hug a few hours after they arrived. 

     Pulling back from the hug, Paige said, "Don't thank me. It was Slade's idea. When y'all came to Amarillo's, Slade and I got talkin' and I told him that Marey was about to foal, and he said that you love foals, so I gave him my number, and I texted him on Monday when Mondy was born and we set this meet and greet up!"

     "Thank you, Slade for settin' this up." Lacey said, flashing a smile at Slade. She hadn't stopped smiling since she met Mondy and Marey. 

     "No problem, darlin'." Slade replied. Looking up to Paige, Slade added, "Thanks again, Paige."

     "It was my pleasure. Anytime y'all want to come back out, please just let me know. I'm sure Marey and Mondy would love to see you again." Shifting her weight, Paige added, "Are you sure y'all don't wanna stay for supper? My parents are at the restaurant, so I will make supper, but I promise it will be good." Paige smiled. 

     "I know it would be great, Paige, but I promised my parents that we will be home by supper, and I'm still full from lunch." Lacey replied with a smile. "Plus, we still have to get Ryder some ice cream because we ate all of his the other day." Rolling her chair forward some, Lacey reached up to give Paige a hug. "Thank you, though. I'm so glad that Slade brought us out here." 

     "Absolutely, my dear friend." Paige said, pulling back from the hug. "Well, you two get goin' before Connie's closes and I will see y'all soon, hopefully." 

     "I think it's safe to say that you will see us again soon." Lacey said truthfully.

     After talking for about five more minutes, Lacey and Slade finally said their final goodbyes before heading out. When Lacey got to Slade's truck, she set the brakes on her wheelchair, and right next to her was Slade, arms ready to lift her into his truck. "Y'know, Slade, I wanna try to get into your truck myself." Lacey said with a smile on her face. She was feeling courageous and brave for the first time in a while. 

     "Okay. Are you sure?" Slade replied, giving Lacey a slightly concerned look. 

     "Yeah, I'm sure, but just stand near just in case I need help, please." 

     "Absolutely." Slade replied. 

     "Okay...so..." Lacey took a second to think through the easiest and safest way to get up onto her seat in Slade's truck. Using her arm rests on her wheelchair, Lacey pushed herself up and over so she was sitting on the floor of Slade's truck, just beside the seat. Reaching up into the cab, Lacey grabbed the top of the seat with one hand and, with the other, she grabbed the door panel. Pushing with all her might, Lacey felt her body lifting on the truck seat. She was able to get on about halfway before she felt like she might fall. When she started slipping off the seat, Lacey saw Slade moving closer to her, arms stretched out, ready to catch her and lift her back on to the seat. "I'm good." Lacey replied to Slade's silent comment. 

     Determined to get into the truck all by herself, Lacey put one hand on the dashboard, pushing back on it. With her other hand, Lacey grabbed her legs, pulling them into the cab with her. "There we go. That wasn't so bad." Lacey said once she was fully in the cab.

     "You're amazing." Slade smiled in response.

     "Thanks." Lacey chuckled, shrugging the compliment off as she buckled her seat belt. 

     "I got your chair." Slade replied, folding up Lacey's chair. "Alright, let's go get Ryder his ice cream." Slade said once he was buckled up.