Chapter Sixteen

Slade woke up the next morning with a crick in his neck. Stretching his arms over his head, he sat up, tilting his head side to side in hopes to alleviate the pain in his neck. Looking around, Slade saw he was on the couch in his living room. When he remembered it was because Lacey had fallen asleep in his bed last night, he smiled-something he had caught himself doing every time he thought about his beautiful girlfriend. 

       Standing up from the couch, Slade grabbed the shirt from beside the couch, slipping it over his head as he quietly made his way to his bedroom to see if Lacey was still sleeping. As carefully as he could, Slade opened the bedroom door. Opening it about six inches, the door hinges squeaked loudly, causing Lacey to stir in bed. Stopping in his tracks, Slade waited for a little bit to see if Lacey would just go back to sleep, or if he woke her up. When Lacey looked over at the door, then sat back against the headboard, Slade walked into his bedroom.

       Crossing the room, Slade took a seat on the edge of his bed, wrapping his hand over Lacey's knees. "Sorry I woke you up, darlin'. It's early, why don't you try to get some more sleep?" 

       Rubbing her eyes, Lacey replied, "You didn't wake me up, I have been dozing on and off for the past hour. I needed to wake up anyways. I won't be able to sleep anymore, thank you, though." With a smile, she rested her hands on top of where Slade's were on her knees. She stared at her hands for a second as she saw Slade rubbing a finger over her left thigh, something she couldn't feel. 

      "So, how'd you sleep?" Slade asked, unaware that Lacey couldn't feel his hands on her leg. 

       Drawing her eyes back up to look in Slade's, she replied, "I slept really well. Your bed is so comfortable. I can't remember the last time that I slept through the whole night without waking up or anything." 

       "I'm glad. Yeah, your parents really went all out providing me with a really nice bed when I started workin' here." Rubbing a finger over Lacey's hand that his fingers were weaved through, Slade asked, "What would you like for breakfast?" 

      "You don't have to make me breakfast, Slade." Lacey smiled at him, thinking that she could really get used to him being the first face she saw in the morning. 

       "Sure I do. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and you're a guest in my house, so I'm obliged to make you breakfast." 

        "Oh, I'm just a guest in your house?" Lacey teased, a mischievous look in her eyes. 

        Leaning forward, Slade pressed his lips against her forehead. "You're more than just a guest. You're my girlfriend, and I just have to say that I loved it that you were the first face I saw this morning and I want you to know that you're always welcome in my loft." Slade smiled, caressing Lacey's cheek. 

       "Thank you, Slade, I appreciate it." She replied, attempting not to blush. 

       Sitting back down on the bed, Slade asked again, "So, what do you want for breakfast?" 

       "Surprise me." Lacey decided. 

       "I think I can do that." Slade stood up off the bed, seeing Lacey sit up more as if she was going to grab her wheelchair. "Nuh uh. You're not comin' with me." He smiled. 

       "Why not? I love watching you cook." Lacey protested.

       "Because, I want to serve my girlfriend breakfast in bed, but I can't do that if she's not in bed." Slade shot back.

       Putting her hands up in surrender, Lacey smiled. "Alright. I will stay in bed. But I'm goin' to miss you." 

       With a smile, Slade bent down, brushing his lips against Lacey's cheek in a kiss. "I'll miss you even more." With that, Slade turned, walking out of his bedroom.