Chapter Fourteen

"Honey, I'm home." A deep drawl called out into the house. With a smile on her face, Lacey rolled out of the kitchen to greet the only person with a voice like that. 

      "Hey, handsome. Welcome home." She greeted Slade. Her smile faded slightly when he walked towards her, sweaty and covered in mud. "No. You are not gettin' a hug from me lookin' like that." She chuckled, pointing a finger at Slade. When he walked a little closer to her, she added, "Slade, seriously, I already took a shower today." 

      "I don't get a hug or anything from you? I've missed my girlfriend so much, though." Slade teased.

       "No. I'm sorry. I've missed you too, but I ain't huggin' you or anything until you get cleaned up." Pinching her nose between two fingers, Lacey said, "And you smell horrible, too."

      Slade stopped creeping towards Lacey to tease, "If you no longer love the smell of cattle, then sweetheart, you've been out of ranching for far too long." 

      Lacey rolled towards the door, silently telling Slade to follow her. "No, you do not smell like cattle, because I love that smell. You, my dear, smell like sweat and cat pee. Now go take a shower." She opened the door for Slade, motioning for him to go outside and to his loft to take a shower. 

      Slade, however, made no motion to go outside. "Do I get a hug from you if I go take a shower?" 

      Lacey made a face and tilted her head side to side, playfully contemplating it. "Maybe."

      Bending down beside Lacey, Slade leaned in really close to her and whispered in her ear, "Please?" His breath tickled her neck as he softly placed a kiss right beneath her ear. 

      At that time, Lacey didn't care how bad he smelled, or that he was tracking mud, hair, and dirt in the house; she just wanted him close to her. Reaching a hand up to his cheek that was still inches from hers, Lacey said, "Okay, fine. You can give me a hug, but only after you take a shower."

      Lacey could feel Slade smile as he landed another kiss under her ear before pulling away to look her in the eyes. "Do I get to cuddle with you on the couch later, too?" Slade's dimples began peaking through on one of his cheeks when he asked. 

      "Don't push it, cowboy." Lacey winked. "Why are you so flirty today?" She asked him, not minding it one bit.

       "You know, I'm not exactly sure. All I know is that you bring that out of me, in a good way. And I really missed you when your dad and I was away at the auction." Bending down, Slade placed his hands on the arm rests on either side of Lacey. In a quiet voice, Slade smiled, "I'm so excited to snuggle with you later." 

       Letting out a chuckle, Lacey put her hands on Slade's well toned chest, pushing him away from her. "Go take a shower, stinky. I have to make supper." 

       "But I'm not hungry." Slade whined.

       "You just told me on the phone that you were starvin'. You're already stinky, if you don't eat, you're gonna be grouchy, and I know that you're sleepy, so there's another." 

      "I don't think that stinky is one of Snow White's dwarf's." Slade retreated. "But you make me really happy, but if you don't hang out with me later, then I'll be dopey, and have to call Doc. Boom, there's three more dwarfs." 

      Rolling her eyes, Lacey played, "Get out of here and go take a shower. Supper will be ready in an hour." Before Slade could protest, Lacey rolled herself away from the door, closing it behind her.

       "Was that Slade, honey?" Luella asked when Lacey got back into the kitchen. With a smile, Lacey nodded her head. 

      "He could have come in and helped us cook supper." Luella wiped a hand over her forehead in an attempt to get some of the hair off her face.