Sad Birthday.

Song: Someone New // Banks

* * *

He watched her curiously as she washed their dishes from dinner, which made her feel a little uncomfortable but she didn't bother saying so. He had been watching her all day, and she tried not to let it bother her as the day went on, but now the feeling had just become unbearable.

"Is something bothering you Noah?" She asked him, her eyes not meeting his as her attention was on cleaning the dishes in front of her.

"I'm just worried about you." He replied.

"Why are you worried about me? I'm fine." She answered.

He wraps his arms around her from behind and buries his face in her hair. "Because it's not just Christmas Eve Ivy, it's your mother's birthday and you haven't said a word about it."

She stops scrubbing the food off the dish she was currently washing, at the drop of his words. She didn't like to talk about her mother much, which is why she hadn't said a word about it being her birthday all day. "There's nothing to say Noah." She sighed, "It's her birthday yes, but she's gone. I can't bake her a cake like I used to, I can't tell her happy birthday right at midnight like I used to. All I can do is miss her, and today just reminds me of how much I do."

"There's nothing wrong with that baby." He whispers, kissing a spot just below her right ear. "There's nothing wrong with constantly missing your mother, especially on her birthday. It's what happens when you lose a loved one; there's always going to be this void you can't fill. And that's okay too, because you know what? There's not one person on this planet who can say they don't miss a loved one who passed away, and I'm not going to let you be that one person either."