Chapter 2: Who to Choose?

Once Uncle Klaus was gone, the absence of his voice left the room in silence. Ran is the first to speak up, stepping toward me cautiously. "So... Edith?" He asks leaning quite close to my face.

"U-Uh yeah?" My ears immediately warmed due to his close proximity.

"I'm the one going with you, RIGHT?" He asks, showing me a wide grin.

"W-Well..." Fuyukiku then steps in to scold  his brother with furrowed brows.

"Ran, don't jump the gun. That's up for the two of them to decide." He sighs. Ran tilts his head to the side with a questioning look on his face.

"Oh, you wanna go too? Then, Kiku and I will go!" Ran announces with his wide grin. "Nobody can beat us brothers together. Do you girls even need the other three?" Ran asks. 'Well, he and Kiku do get along really well. I guess that's what happens when you're brothers.' Kaito then comes in and pushes Ran away.

"Hey Ran. Don't decide things on your own. Look at Kiku, you're giving him trouble again!" As soon as Kaito is done scolding Ran, his arm finds it way around my shoulders in a protective way. "Speaking of physical strength, Edith and I are at the same level. Aren't I right?" He asks.

"Well yeah, we have been training together for a long time but still-..."

"Then it's decided! No one would be better to protect Edith than me!" Kaito says happily.

"Hey that's not fair! If Kaito going, then I'm going too!" Roya whines, leaping onto Kaito's shoulders with a pout. This forces Kaito to let go of me.

"Stop it, Shiroya. You're not my jacket!" Kaito yells, trying to shake him off. Mika and I laugh together at their banter.

"They will need proper meals, you know." Shiroya adds with a wink. 'That actually sounds like a good idea. I love Roya's cooking!' "So me Kaito, Ran, and Kiku! That'd be the perfect group for you!" Shiroya says.

"I guess..." it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

"Wait a minute, Edith!" Mika says, stopping me from finalizing anything.

"Admit Kaito. You just want to have Edith all to yourself." Ran suggests with a sharp jab.

"Obviously, yes. I can't leave them in the other guys' hands." Kaito says bitterly.

"W-Wait Kaito. We haven't decided yet-"

"Keep yourselves out of this, country-breds." Yayoi says stepping up to Mika. He's the first one to really get aggressive about the matter. The three boys who were having fun, now looked angry at Yayoi.

"Wai-" Mikaela tries to get everyone to chill, but it doesn't work too well.

"You don't listen to either one of them but drag them both into your useless fights... How vulgar." Yayoi says with disgust.

"Absolutely, I'm getting tired of you country-breds already." Kikyo agrees with a nod. Kaito growls under his breath. That phrase makes me groan.

"What did you-"

"I don't think we could let you go with that remark." Shiroya says angrily.