Chapter 10: Apologies

"Did...did we do it?" I ask quietly. When I open my eyes, I notice the black mist is gone and the Drop of Fire had regained its beautiful, red glow. I jump to my feet and pump my fist.

   "Yes! Mika we did it!" I shout pulling her up too. I wrap her in a hug and smile.
When I step back, she's smiling too, but almost immediately after, my head starts pounding and my knees give out, causing me to fall to the ground in pain. I crack open one eye to see Mika struggling as well.

   "Eda!" Shiroya yells as he runs to me.

   "Hey!" Ran shouts worriedly and he runs too. Both of them help me to my feet and keep me steady as I try to ease my headache and keep my breathing under control.

   "Eda, are you okay?" Shiroya asks.

   "I-I think..so..." I mumble.

   "What happened..?" Ran asks quietly.

   "I dunno...it just...hurts." I grab my head and groan in pain. Shiroya nods and holds out his canteen to my lips. I slowly take a drink, but the dizziness doesn't subside. I push away the canteen with shaky hands and nod in thanks.

   "Wha-?!"

   "Kiku what the hell?!"

   I look up when I hear people shouting and what I see absolutely shocks me.

   Kiku was kissing Mika...

   "F-Fuyukiku! What do you think you are doing?!"

   Kiku had pulled away and looked worriedly into her eyes. He says something to her, but I can't hear too well. I can however, hear everyone else shouting at him.

   "Fuyukiku, what are doing?!" Yayoi roars.

   "Y-You kissed her..!" Kikyo stutters.

   "Way to go Kiku-..! Ow! Eda!" I glare at Shiroya and stomp on his foot as he cheers him on. When he looks at me, I shake my head.

   'Not the place or time.'

   "Kiku what are you thinking?" Ran asks.

   "What was I thinking? I was thinking about saving her life, that's all." Kiku explains as if it were nothing.

   "But still, could you not find less invasive way to do so?" Yayoi asks.

   "She was so weak and couldn't help herself to water. What other option did I have? You're all making a big fuss about it, but there was nothing romantic about it." Kiku brushes everyone to the side as he checks on Mika again. He helps her to her feet and offers her a smile.

   I turn my head to look at Shiroya, who was keeping me steady. "Th-thanks Roya..and Ran too.." I turn to Ran and smile. Ran looks at me before his eyes dart to the ground.

   "I-I...uh.." he stutters before stepping back.

   "Here Eda, let me help you back to the mansion." Shiroya says and I nod, slowly walking with him back to the sea of lapis, which had returned to its usual bright blue tone.

~Time Skipu~

    After we had gotten back to the mansion, my vision had finally cleared and my head stopped pounding, so I decided to go clear my head in the sunflower field. I sit myself against a tree and take a deep breath. I still felt fatigued, but at least blinking didn't hurt anymore.

   'The sunset is really pretty.'

   I sit quietly for a while and watch as the sun sets until I hear footprints. I turn around to see Ran walk up the hill and stare out at the field. He sighs and crosses his arms. The look on his face made him seem sad.

   "Ran..?" His head shot towards my direction with a gasp.

   "Edith..! I uh..! I was just..." he stuttered and tried to formulate something to say before he turned on his heel and headed back toward the mansion.

   "Ran wait!" I call only for him to ignore me. I jump to my feet and go to him, but he just speeds up. "Ran please!" I grab his arm and he stops walking, yet keeps his eyes trained on the ground. "Look, I wanted to thank you for earlier when you helped me at the symbol. And...I'm sorry.."

   Ran gasps softly and looks at me.

   "I shouldn't have gotten so worked up the other day when you kissed me... So, I'm really sorry." I apologize quietly.

   "Why are you apologizing? I'm the one that was in the wrong." Ran mutters frowning and scratching his head awkwardly. "I was so happy when you said my eyes were beautiful on the beach...and so I got carried away and totally overexcited." His gaze meets mine and he gives me a sad look. "I'm sorry, Edith." He bows his head down.

   "No, I was wrong for slapping you." I say shaking my head. "I've been wanting to apologize for that." I reach forward and gently caress his cheek. "...Did I hurt you?"

   "What..?!" When he slowy raises his head, his cheeks are flushed pink.

   "What is it..?" I ask.

   "N-nothing.." he looks away from me as he mumbles. "Don't stare at me so intently...it makes me wanna kiss you again..." my eyes widen slightly at his words and my heart thumps in my chest. 'What is this..?' With a sigh, I pat Ran on the arm.

   "Anyway, this means we've made up, right?" I ask with a smile.

   "Yeah. Man, what a relief!" Ran says happily.

   "Hmm?"

   "I couldn't talk to you because it was awkward and it was sooooo boring!" He says with a laugh.

   "It's been weird for me too, seeing you act so differently." I smile. "Come on, let's get back to the mansion and get some sleep. I don't know about you, but I'm still pretty tired from today." I start walking back, leaving Ran to catch up with me.

   "Edith!"

~Next Morning~

   When I wake up, I finally feel refreshed and back to normal. I sit up from my bed and start to get ready before leaving my room and heading toward the great hall.

   'We'll be able to leave once we're all packed. The winter village will be cold, so I may need to pack some extra clothes.'

   Yesterday after the purification, Ran and Kiku had requested for us to go to the Winter village next, seeing that Kiku had some urgent business to tend to. Mika had of course agreed and had her village be the last one on our route. 'Yayoi seemed pretty mad yesterday. It was kinda funny.' I giggle softly.

   Suddenly someone grabs me from behind, pinning my arms to my sides and covering my mouth. 'Who the hell..?' I try to force my way out of the strange grip, but I can't break free. I go to scream, but as I open my mouth, the grip tightens and a voice whispers in my ear.

   "Don't move."