PAUL(15)

"The future is cars" I spoke, pointing to the pictures that displayed before us
I was currently sitting on the floor next to Angelina. She was sitting cris crossed on the floor next to me while looking through the images.
"These are nice"
I smiled at her. Brad was truly lucky to have Angelina because she was beautiful and all kinds of ways. It's hard to find a female who actually appreciates cars. Even Mia gets annoyed sometimes.
She looked from the pictures, to me.
"You and your brothers are truly unique."
"That's a good way of saying it" I said sarcastically, while picking up the pictures
She just laughed and helped.
"Oh congrats on having your son" Angelina spoke with true excitement
"Thank you, that reminds me" i walked over to the coat hanger and reached in my coat for some pictures. they where sitting in a yellow envelope so i carefully slid them out and walked them over to her. she was now sitting on the couch looking up at me anxious. i smiled and handed her the photos

"meet Jack" i said while she looked through the numerous baby photos.

"he's so adorable" she said with a wide smile.

"thank you" i said, looking like a proud father.  "he looks just like jared's baby pictures, which is annoying, but at least he still looks like me." i added

she nodded in agreement. 

she dropped the photos on the floor and we both quickly reached for them. she fell to her knees to reach them and noticed a scar on my ankle.

"whats that?" she said, while still gathering the photos. she picked the up and handed them to me. i held my hand out so that i could help her get up. she dusted herself off and then made way to her side of the couch across from me. 

i took a seat in my normal spot and sat the pictures down on the coffee table. i looked up at her as she pulled out a clean piece of paper in her note pad and slid her glasses down from the top of her head to her eyes. waiting for me to respond. this was a topic i never liked talking about but she was my therapist and she only wants to help. i laid back and began the story. 

it all started when i was about 12 years old.....

we always grew up in a poor neighbor hood, but we didnt complain because we knew everyone. our whole neighborhood was like one big happy family. we lived on the south side. even though we got along with some of the rich, there was still some that wouldn't even cross paths with us. I didn't just start drag racing on my own, Jared had taught me because it was his passion at a point in time. 

one evening some of the up hills kids where giving us a hard time because we had to walk to school. they didn't even go to our school so i never understood why they where on our side of town in the first place. but any who, they wanted to play a game of chicken. Its where 2 cars would head towards each other in full speed and the first one to turn the wheel, is a chicken. of course we where down and of course Lana was at work. there was 5 guys name Tony, Mike, Mason, Langston, and Dan. At first I was hesitate to get in the car was Jared because I knew the outcome wouldn't be good. but I just loved fast cars and I knew I would have to just face the music later. 

as we all piled into Jared pickup truck, I watched as Leo and stood back. He didn't care for danger or fast cars. He stayed back and just sat on the curb watching. I sat in the back seat because brad sat in the front. Jared drove and his friend Brandon sat on the top of the veh. it was time for the race and Jared took off full speed towards the other veh. I watched with excitement until i realized neither where turning. i herd someone screaming so we rolled our windows down to hear.  before we could figure out what they where yelling, it was too late. 

both cars crashed killing three people. the brakes on Tony's car went out and so he couldn't stop the veh, killing Brandon, Langston whos parents where priest and owned a couple churches, and Mike whos parents owned a couple dealerships uptown. I was injured had a huge chunk of glass stuck in my leg, brad had a gash on his head but he was fine, Jared was bruised from head to tow but walked away lucky. as for the other boys, a couple broken bones but nothing compared to death. once Lana arrived home we got the bitching of a lifetime. but we didn't sweat it because we knew we deserved it. It seemed like cars always got us in trouble.

flashback

I couldn't believe the words that left Lana's mouth. i walked back over to the table and looked around at everyone who wore long faces and looked anxious. 

"well?" some one blurted out

"that was Lana on the phone. i really think i should come back home with you guys" i said. 

"why would you wanna do that?" Zack asked

"That was Lana on the phone, shes really sick"

"Lana?" Cole asked surprised

at this point we haven't herd from Lana in years. She left us with Jared and would send us a post card every month. we could never get a hold of her or we never knew where she actually was because she didn't want Jared to know where she was. I didn't blame her, I just hated that she took her hate for Jared out on us. especially when we needed her most. 

"why would we rush to see the women who abandoned us for years?" Dylan said, saying the words everyone was thinking. 

"because at the end of the day, shes still our mother and there's no telling how long she has left" 

everyone just silently went back to finishing their food. it was a lot to take in so Vin decided to break the silence. 

"we are coming with you. i got some money saved up, we can rent a house nearby until all of this is over" 

I smiled and shook hands with Vin, he truly knew what to say to ease my mood.