Chapter Three: Back in Action.

In my cliché black combat boots, still sort of in my sweats and pullover sweater, I ran from my home to the last place I had heard the scream.

Half asleep and technically unpracticed in my powers, I wasn't too sure how this whole thing was going to go down, but maybe I knew whoever was messing with the girl and could just tell him to back off.

I almost tripped from laughing at the thought. Tell them to back off? When has that plan ever worked for anyone?

And of course, if it's someone I know, they would probably just laugh because there isn't a single hero, villain, or police officer who doesn't know I'm banned from using my powers.

The perks of being slapped with a ban continue to grow.

I rounded a dark corner and came across a well-lit house, the front door was open and a brown box was on the ground, almost as if it had fallen out of someone's arms. I groaned and stayed in the shadows, I stupidly, no surprise there, forgot my mask.

Not that I always wore a mask, I'm trying to see how long that stunt Superman pulled with not wearing a mask will last in the real world. So far, it's been about two years and no one's recognized me. Unlike Superman, though, my glasses were necessary.

Good thing for contacts! That I stupidly forgot. Wow, I guess midnight and I don't get along as we used too. How did you forget to wear your glasses, dude? Like... That's impossible to forget to wear your glasses! I rolled my eyes, leave it to me to forget one of the most important things.

I got out my signature blue beanie and pulled it on, hiding the color of my hair and as much of my face as possible. I inched a bit closer to the house, suddenly wondering if I should be worried that I haven't heard anything. As if on cue, the girl screamed and the sound of glass breaking echoed through the night.

Without a second thought, I raced into her house. Adrenaline coursed through my body making all my senses come in sharp detail, all my senses except vision, that is. I heard footsteps on the top floor, so I ran up the stairs taking two at a time and half hoping I didn't fall and break my neck.

Why does my brother have to be such a deep sleeper? The whole city could burn down, but his royal highness wouldn't even stir.

The shuffling suddenly stopped when I reached the last step. My breath hitched as I stepped lightly down the empty hallway. Where, oh where could they be? Wood creaked behind me, and the slightest whimper made me stiffen.

I braced myself but then decided against it. Instead of even trying to use my powers, I whipped around just in time to see a crowbar being swung towards my head. I ducked and just felt the metal graze my head, that would have been a nasty hit.

I dared a glance up to find out who was trying to kill me.

"Oh really, a ski mask?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at his ridiculous outfit. Basically, he looked just like me but without the beanie and not nearly as good looking. "Do you know how easy it is to take those off?" Just to prove my point, I reached over and pulled his ski mask off. "See?"

So that was probably the dumbest thing I've done so far.

He raised his hand that held the crowbar but I stifled a yawn, and with my super reflexes, I yanked it out of his hand. "Okay, I really hate fighting and I'm dead tired, so can you just go already?" I asked.

He raised his fists to start a punching frenzy. I guess not. Predictable. So when he charged me, I stood to the side and let him go barreling past me. I found the girl leaning on the wall, shaking and looking beyond terrified. I nodded my head at her in a greeting and went to stand in front of her protectively.