Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Superhero Dance.

I opened my mouth to say something in Charlie's defense but the sound of high heels walking into the living room distracted me, and I looked to see who it was. My breath caught in my throat and my eyes widened as I took in the sight that was before me.

Molly smiled at me when our eyes met. A floor-length black dress sparkled in the light, her mask that was edged with feathers and rhinestones was covering her face, but there was no mistaking how she looked. I felt my eyebrows raise higher as she got closer to me. Her hair was down in wavy curls like ocean waves and her skin, the color of cream, looked smooth as velvet in the light. Wait... Why am I being all descriptive?

"Are you ready?" she asked, smiling as her eyes took in what I was wearing. I was suddenly very unsure about the whole cologne ad look. Maybe I should have wrestled with that bowtie a little longer.

I nodded my head and offered her my arm. "Yes."

"Bring her back before midnight," her father grumbled after us. "She's Cinderella, and I don't want you to turn into a pumpkin pie, Coal. Because if you're late-"

"I'll be beaten to a pulp, gotcha," I said over my shoulder.

I led Molly to my mom's car, hoping she wouldn't notice the girly decals on the side. I helped her in and then ran to the other side to sit next to her in the backseat.

"Hey, Benjamin," Molly said with a smile.

Ben nodded a greeting back. "Hey," he said as we drove off to go pick up Beats.

"So, who did you dress up as?" Molly asked me, watching as I slipped on a black mask with a white or silver border, I think it was my dad's at one point.

"Um... I don't know, I guess myself, just the dressier version? How about you?"

"As Smokey."

The drive was quiet, except for when Beats got in, which was fine because I was lost in my thoughts about Charlie not being normal. I've known that kid since forever, he would have told me if he developed powers just like I didn't tell him I have powers. Okay, so I get that whole trust thing goes both ways, what can I say? It's a foreign concept to me.

"So my plan is to make sure that Bryant sees me with you," Molly said as we pulled into the school's parking lot, she lowered her voice so only I could hear it.

"Okay."

"So, just flaunt me around, make sure Bryant sees us. I really want to make him jealous."

I glanced at her again, eyeing her up and down. "Well, you look nice. I'd be jealous if I were him."

Molly turned to me and gave me a look. "Just 'nice'? I spent hours doing my makeup and getting ready, and I only look 'nice'?"

I grimaced. Butter her up, Coal, just lay it on thick. "You look like the very definition of beautiful, Molly Braeson, and I am thrilled to be escorting you to the dance tonight." Okay, so I think I just overdid it. I flashed her a big grin hoping that'd come off as sincere and innocent... Well, I'm a super villain, so I guess not that innocent.

"Whatever," she mumbled, shaking her head but smiling.

We left the car and walked arm in arm to the basketball court where the dance was. I paid for our tickets, suddenly very glad we got here early as it was already getting packed. Neon lights and loud music greeted us when we entered, a pulsating mass of disguised students danced horribly to the music, most of them just jerking their bodies in out of sync movements.