Chapter Thirteen: So Close.

Let's just face it guys and girls, I'm a bad super villain. Probably the worst one out there, if you don't count CS. As hard as it is to believe, I'm a worse best friend and brother too, since I stole his ice cream.

This is what happens when I stay up late. I always end up trying to make drastic changes in my personality and life but this time a bizarre feeling was accompanying my wanting to change, and I couldn't shake it.

However, in all fairness to myself, I just walked through a 24-hour store and bought Ben his ice cream only to discover that I had worn my mask through the entire store. Talk about embarrassing.

So, that's why that baby started crying, and the cashier didn't make eye contact.

"Rough night?" the cashier asked.

I really wanted to laugh because at 2:30 in the morning, seeing a super villain buy cookie dough ice cream is probably not something you see every day. He wasn't even afraid, I mean I guess at this point he must be used to super villains walking in and going grocery shopping. I wonder if a superhero ever got in line behind a villain and if they talked about the headlines of the magazines at the cash register, all nonchalant and relaxed.

"I'm not even going to comment," I mumbled, handing him a ten dollar bill, and taking my brother's ice cream with me as I left the store feeling like a complete idiot.

To make matters worse, I didn't get a bag so by the time I got home, my hands were freezing cold and the ice cream was near thawed completely since we all know heat and frozen dairy products never get along for long.

When I finally got home and put his ice cream in the freezer, I took a quick scalding hot shower, making sure to defrost my hands.

Since the weird feeling was still overwhelmingly strong, I was hoping a shower would make it go away, but after I shut off the water it was still there and it only seemed to intensify. It was like a combination of being lightheaded and dizzy and not quite being able to see or think straight. Maybe it was lingering effects from whatever it was CS did to me earlier tonight.

After pulling on my sweats and a thin t-shirt, I stepped out of the bathroom intending to go straight to my room and go right to bed but someone had other plans for me. They slammed me up against the wall, keeping their forearm pressed tight against my throat.

"You are an idiot, Coal Black!" a voice yelled in my ear. Wow, he's got some range in his voice.

"Ben, lower your voice you're going to wake up mom and dad," I hissed, trying to throw him off me but his grip that was his signature power wasn't even budging with my currently weak strength.

"We're already up, Coal," mom said, flipping a light and revealing to me both of my parents standing in the hallway, hands on her hips and a scowl on dad's face.

I groaned. Dear life, when I told you to get some new material, I really didn't mean for me to get busted like this, sincerely I Just Want To Go To Sleep.

"Where have you been?" Ben growled, there was no masking how angry he was, but I could also see disappointment in there somewhere, even if it was just a fleck. Or maybe more like half a fleck.

This was going to kill me, but I needed them to trust me, and you get people to trust you by telling the truth, right? Right. Oh boy, but trust and I aren't exactly on speaking terms. I ran my hand through my wet hair and sighed. "Meeting City Sweeper."