Chapter Three

**So what's changed?

**James is dead. First of all, someone had to die in order for Harry to keep his protection of love and be safe from the touch of Voldemort. In the last chapter, Albus mentions that he had spoken to James. THIS IS WHAT ALBUS DISCUSSES WITH JAMES. Albus tells James that someone must protect Harry at all costs in order for Harry to be safe. This is not explained to James but that is why he quickly agrees for Lily to stop Voldemort and for himself to take Harry to safety instead of the other way round.

**Let me explain this. James would have protected Lily and Harry anyway because he loved them. However Albus wanted James to protect them no matter what the sacrifice. James didn't have to die, this was a choice he made, just like Lily did in the books/movies. However, he also stayed true to Albus' words by keeping Harry safe AT ALL COSTS. The cost was his own life.**

I seemed to come back to consciousness mind first before other senses. It therefore took me a minute to remember and wish I was back in the dark.

"...Sorry... Never meant to hurt you... Never... I always cared for you, you know that..." I heard Severus' voice first as clear as day which meant that I was coming round slowly. The next sense was touch because I felt crisp bedsheets beneath my right arm. My right hand was in the smooth, cold grasp of someone holding my hand in both of theirs. My left arm and hand was resting on a fluffy pillow and so was my head. I was relatively comfy for a hospital bed.

Severus continued to apologise over and over again. It wasn't until I felt something wet on my right arm that other senses started to come back. First of all, I realised that I wasn't in any pain now. The pain of everything was completely erased. Everything... But this ache and this rock that was weighing my heart down. I wanted James... So badly... And Harry...

I opened my eyes slowly. The room was dim, the only source of light coming from a lantern next to my bed. Around my bed was a green curtain, keeping myself away from the eyes of students and teachers. On my right side was Severus. He held my hand in both of his and his head was leaning over our hands. He was muttering apologies still but in a voice that sounded sleepy now. On a closer look, I could see tears leaking out of his eyes.

"Severus..." I mumbled. He looked up and moved my hand to his left so he could rub his eyes with his right.

"Mm?"

"Severus... Kill me... Please... I just want it to be over..." Severus looked at me with a pained expression.

"Never."

"Why? What's the point? What's the point of living?"

"Lily... Please... Don't say this..."

"James... James is dead..."

"But... Think about Harry. He needs you and he's not the only one." I frowned slightly looking at Severus. He looked choked up. He was trying to hide his disgust.

"What do you mean?" I kept hold of his hand when he tried to pull away. He looked at me but his face never lost that disgusted look. This expression was one which warmed my broken heart a little bit because although it was a disgusted look, it was one I knew well. One he had once used to describe James Potter, one to describe Sirius Black and Remus Lupin.

"You're pregnant. Why didn't you say something?" His voice was harsh.

"I... I... I didn't... I couldn't... I forgot..."

"You forgot? You forgot that you had a child growing inside of you?"

"I'm sorry, Severus..." I didn't understand why he was so offended that I had forgot about my other baby. My little unknown.