Chapter Eight

I woke up quite late the next morning, as it was eleven. I remembered what Albus had said about popping by later on and so got dressed quickly. Severus was sat on the sofa. He was casting charms with his wand, making noiseless fireworks explode and snow scatter. His expression was blank but his eyes were narrow in his worry.

"Sev?" His eyes flickered up to look at me.

"Lily. How did you sleep?"

"Good. And yourself?"

"Not bad." He stood up and walked over to a bookshelf where there was a radio. He tuned it to a radio station which played a song softly. "Are you hungry?"

"No. Not yet."

"Anymore bad dreams?" Sev knew me so well. I grimaced slightly.

"Some." He took my hands and pulled me into the middle of the room. I smiled as he twirled me around once and pulled me close into an embrace, his hand on my waist and the other hand in mine. We slow danced to the song which may have been slow or may have been fast but we did not pay much attention to it.

"Are you ever going to tell me?" He asked me.

"Nope."

"Why? It might help."

"I doubt it..."

"Try me."

"You won't like it much." He put his hand under my chin and lifted my face so he could look into my eyes. I looked into his black ones. He had a soft smile on his face.

"Try me." He repeated. I tried to look away but couldn't. I sighed in surrender.

"I'm in bed... I wake up and James isn't beside me. I leave my room with my wand in my hand and I go to Harry's bedroom but he isn't in his cot. I go downstairs and they're there, lying on the floor... Dead... And a man... Standing over... Them... And he... Looks at me... As he.. Slashes... James'... Throat... And... He... Comes... Over... To... Me... And... He... And he..."

"Okay, okay... Calm down. It's alright." Severus placed his hands on my arms and looked deeply into my eyes. Weirdly enough, as I looked into his black eyes, I felt my chest relax and the knot in my stomach loosened. After a moment or two, my breathing had gone back to normal. Severus placed his hand back on my waist, took my hand and we continued to dance, even though the song had changed now. It was a slow song so we spun slowly around the room. I watched Severus' face. He looked extremely peaceful as he spun me into a circle and wrapped me into his arms again. I couldn't stop the smile tugging on my lips. I felt so happy to dance with Severus. Sev's lips moved softly and when he pulled me close again, I could hear his soft song. He sung the song too. The music started to drift to a close and we slowly drifted to a stop too. Severus moved his other hand to my waist. His eyes were looking deeply into mine and my heart seemed to skip a beat. I felt butterflies burst in my stomach but at the same time, my head was screaming at me to stop, to break away from this and to ask what on Earth Severus was playing at. But at the same time, my heart swelled and I wondered why I couldn't love Severus? I will always love James; my heart would always be his but... Was it so wrong to give a piece of that heart to someone else?

Severus gently brushed a piece of my red hair behind my ear. His hand cradled my face and he inched closer to me...

A knock on the door frightened us both half to death and I jumped away from Severus, leaving a gap. He looked a mixture of confused, frustrated and relieved all at the same time. I think I felt the same.

Sev left the room to answer the door and I brushed my hair with my fingers, combing it over one shoulder and playing with a strand. I felt something flutter in my stomach, my little girl, reminding me that I was not alone.