Chapter Ten

On the twentieth of December, Dorcas Meadowes invited the Order of the Phoenix over for a meal and a warm chat around a roaring fire. Unfortunately not everyone could attend but this did not mean that the event was any less entertaining and fun.

Remus came round and it was great to see him again as he had not been round in a while due to having being spending time with the werewolves. Sturgis was there as well, he had been working non-stop at the Ministry. Elphias Doge was there too but he did not talk much, just responded when someone spoke to him. Emmeline and Minerva came round, Albus popped in quickly for a quick chat and update upon which there was not much to know.

Dorcas passed around a plate of mince pies as the radio blasted out the latest pop tunes. Severus sat beside me, his hand around mine. I was very aware of that hand. He was as much a part of the group as anyone, laughing and talking to everyone for once, even Remus. I noticed that we got a lot of glances from the others in the group but no one commentated on the closeness that we shared.

Dorcas and Minerva went into the kitchen to get hot chocolates for everyone. Emmeline struck up conversation with Sturgis and Remus about Ministry business. Elphias just sat there, drinking whisky. I excused myself to go to the toilet. Severus let me go, letting his hand fall to his side. I left the lit room to go into the corridor. The hallway was lit only by a string of lights, actual fairies dangling from the string, zipping to and fro along the string, fluttering their wings. Mistletoe was hung here and there over moving pictures of Dorcas' family.

I used the toilet and went back down the corridor but stopped halfway down because there was a dark shadow standing there, blocking my way to the picture frames. Luckily I had remembered my wand but before I could pull it out of my pocket, a fairy zoomed towards the figure and I noticed it was Severus. He was examining a moving picture. I walked up to him and he turned to look at me. He was smiling gently.

"I need to go quickly. It would seem that Elphias would like escorting home and so I volunteered myself for the service."

"You'll be back?" I asked, stroking his cheek with one of my fingers. My wedding ring to James glinted on my finger, I couldn't bring myself to take it off... Not yet. Time first.

"Course I will. I love you, Lily."

"I love you Sev." We kissed lightly under the mistletoe. Elphias' cough broke us apart and I looked over to the doorway where he was stood. Severus and I exchanged a sheepish smile.

"Sorry Doge." He smiled.

"Ah young love. I am just happy to see you shine again, Miss Evans." I blushed slightly but walked over to him and hugged him goodbye. I quickly kissed Sev goodbye once more then watched at the door as he and Doge walked out of the house and past the defensive boundaries to the house. All Ministry based defences of course as Dorcas was part of the Ministry.

Once they disapparated, I stayed there for a few more minutes then shut the door and joined the party again. I sat down on my cushion on the floor and gratefully accepted a cup of hot chocolate. I took a mince pie and broke it in half so as to be able to dunk a half into the hot foaming liquid. It was not a bad combination actually. I was about to reach for another mince pie when suddenly the lights went out. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I heard someone jump up to their feet. Before I could even think about getting my wand out, the window was smashed, blowing into a million pieces in an instant. No brick or act of muggle vandalism could have done that.

"Lily, get down!" Remus shouted as he pulled me down on my side. My arms wrapped automatically around my head to protect it. Glass cut into my bare skin, mainly at my arms. I winced at the pain.

"Avada Kedavra!" I heard a man shout. I screamed out in horror. Remus was the only one standing... No! Not Moony... I heard cries and screams around me.