› 04

Class always carried on with the same routine. Sit down, take out your textbook and notebook, roll call, recap, new lessons and spars at the end of the day. Akita disliked her mundane routines, always thinking there was more to be done. Even so, she sat down as straight as her spine would allow and took in every ounce of information tossed her way.

The girl never really answered questions in class. Her teacher didn't know sign language, despite how he tried. She appreciated his efforts though. So instead she talked through Obito, poking his ribs and signing quicker than he could comprehend. Sometimes she did it just because what he came up with was amusing.

Akita did not go a day where she narrowed her gaze to the back row, exchanging customary glares with the boy named Hatake Kakashi. At first she had wanted to mock his name—Scarecrow in a field? How stupid. She quickly realized though, that she would be turning into the people who bullied her on a daily basis if she did. So instead she settled for glaring, throwing invisible kunai in her mind.

Sparrow had hummed in amusement when she ranted to him all the things she disliked about the silver haired boy. He is insensitive, mean and downright ugly inside and out. He always makes comments about Obito without considering how it might affect him! She had said angrily.

People like him make me angry. Just because he has talent means that he can demean others who he sees as inferior? How lonely it must be to live the life of a prodigy.

As soon as she had spoken those words though, Akita had paused. It was lonely wasn't it? Isolating and frustrating? Did Kakashi act in such a way to make people see him as who he is? A cry for help?

Akita shook her head to rid of such sympathetic thoughts. She had a rivalry to keep ablaze! So as she skipped over to the sparring ground (which was carved out of peeling white paint) her eyes offered a taunting challenge her lips could not produce.

The two circled each other, a predatory action. There was barely a scuffle in the sand as they launched at each other after their teacher gave the OK. Shouts of excitement filled the air as classmates made bets on who would win. So far, not many sided with Akita. She didn't care though, let them think she couldn't beat the unbeatable Hatake Kakashi. Let them gasp in surprise when she knocked him to the ground.

Blows of equal power were exchanged as they darted this way and that. Kakashi never talked when fighting—he was too concentrated on dodging and attacking. Akita used it to her advantage.

"YEAH! KICK HIS ASS AKITA-CHAN!" A familiar voice yelled. The small black haired girl couldn't hold back her twitching brow. As much as she liked Obito, he really needed to stop yelling while she was fighting. There were only two minutes left out of the ten they were given.

Could she outmatch him?

Kakashi lunged forward and Akita braced for the impact by crossing her arms in front of her face. Her eyes widened a fraction as she realized he feigned left and came to attack her from the right. The black haired female dug her heel into the ground and rotated her body so that her left leg would go racing toward his head.

At the last possible moment, he ducked and came at her feet with the swipe of his leg—but Akita was faster. It was reflex for her to jump up and use him as a spring board. She heard him utter a small 'umph' as he stumbled backwards; they were at each other again in a matter of seconds.

"Five."

Akita tackled him to the ground, using her weight (as much as she could for such a small figure) to hold him down.

"Four."

Kakashi twisted his body, left then right, and fought against her hold. Why was she so easily holding him down? Frustration burned though his veins. He was the prodigy—he was the best. So why was he so evenly matched with the mute?