› 10

Death exists in the eyes of the living.

Sparrow knew something terrible had happened on Akita's first mission. He suspected that she had experienced, firsthand, what it felt like to lose something precious. He knew she had seen another human being die right before her innocent eyes.

Rage boiled his blood like a thousand geysers ready to burst. The blonde haired ANBU knew he should have kept her home—or asked for Akita to be reassigned to another teacher.

He hated the fact that she was a ninja. He absolutely felt disgusted by it.

Ever since her return, Akita had become more reclusive and reserved. She seemed to have become a machine, going through her everyday tasks without blinking. The house felt colder and emptier with every day that passed. Sparrow debated about finding Fossa and asking about what happened.

He was brought out of his redundant thought cycle when Akita entered the room. She had a travel pack on and her hair up in a pony tail, dressed as she always was when Fossa was taking her on a mission.

"Have you eaten yet," Sparrow asked. He didn't receive a reply. Instead, Akita continued to make her way to the front door.

"Akita."

The girl paused, her calloused hand just centimeters away from the doorknob. Sparrow never called her by her name, it was always princess.

Sparrow untied his pink apron and hung it up on a magnet attached to the refrigerator before making his way over to his daughter.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?"

Akita shook her head. If possible, she never wanted to be reminded of that event ever again. A frown tugged at his lips as he watched her with gentle eyes. Her eyes cast down as she twisted the knob and left the building. Sparrow was left on his own, fist clenched in anger. It seemed like he was going to have to have a little chat with Fossa.

::

She'd been trying to ignore it. Every time it's sickly sweet voice slithered from the depths of her mind, she did her best to shove it out. No matter what she did, it always came back. Akita wondered if she was crazy. Did she have Schizophrenia? She would feel relieved if that were the case.

No one paid her inner turmoil any mind as she paced down the streets of Konoha, unsure of her destination. She liked it that way. Lately, she had become very irritable when anyone attempted conversation with her.

The sun was setting. She had until the light faded to meet up with Fossa. The thought of being even five feet from that woman made Akita's hair stand on end. She hated that woman who called herself a teacher. If it were possible, Akita would have requested a transfer right after they returned, but Fossa would not allow any time to do so. Everyday was training, vigorous, straining and horrible training. The only time she was allowed to rest was the hours between 12:00 A.M. to 5:00 A.M.

"Akita-chan? Ya!"

Her eyes slowly rose from the ground to see who had called her name. She had recognized their voice right away - It was Obito. Akita did her best to hide the depression lingering in her gaze and prayed the boy couldn't sense it. Obito wore a wide grin per usual, one that would have made her do the same in the past. This time...It did nothing but make her feel worse.

" I've been looking for you everywhere. Wanna go get dumplings," he asked. She admired how blissfully ignorant he was. You're paying, she replied. A look of desperation took his expression as he sighed.

"Yea, yea. Let's go," he prompted. The two walked side by side, Akita with her hands shoved in her pockets and Obito with his behind his head. "How has your training been? It sucks we aren't on the same team. It'd be tolerable if that asshole Kakashi weren't on mine. He thinks he's so cool. It's annoying because he totally isn't," he whined. Akita rolled her eyes in response.

Upon arriving at their usual restaurant, their orders were placed and they were left sitting in silence. Obito's head was resting in the palm of his hand as he stared at Akita. No matter how many times he saw her, he felt like she became even more beautiful than when they last met. A wistful sigh passed his lips. When would he gather the courage to tell her what he feels about her? A part of him was terrified of the day he did, but the other part of him was excited. He wanted to know how she would respond, if he had a chance.

Should he have bought roses? Tulips? Panic overtook his thoughts as he hid his face for a moment before shaking his head. No, he didn't know he would be seeing Akita. They just happened to bump into each other on the street.

Akita watched him with little interest. Her heart ached, her body struggled not to collapse under the weight of her guilt. Looking at Obito reminded her of him, the one she couldn't protect. Why? The two looked nothing alike. In the time she spent convincing herself that Obito was not going to end up like him, she hadn't realized that she started crying. It was when he asked her what was wrong that she noticed.

I'm sorry but I have to go, she said quickly excusing herself. He tried to stop her but she was gone before he could utter a word.

::

Somehow, she ended up at the KIA stone. Her tearstained cheeks burned as she sat with her back against it. Akita cried silently, releasing the built up sadness within her, before the dead. She wished the guilt would leave her, she wished that she could wash off the blood staining her hands.

Digging her nails into the ground, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

" You seem too young to be so sad," a voice observed solemnly. Her eyes shot open, looking for who was with her. When she finally saw a kind face with dark eyes, with deep lines running underneath them. He had spiky, silver-coloured hair that reached into the middle of his back tied in a ponytail and bangs that hung over his headband . He wore a standard Konoha-nin uniform with a pair of gloves, bandages on his right arm, and the addition of distinctive short white sleeve which had red edges and the standard crest on it.

When she didn't respond, the man chuckled and took a step forwards until he was next to her and sat down just as she was. Akita sniffled, wiping her eyes dry before turning her head away.

" I understand," he said. " Talking about what's making you suffer is difficult. But...would you mind listening to my burden? "

Akita simply nodded.

A small smile tugged at his lips. "Thank you. It's difficult to find someone willing to listen to an old man these days. I will spare you the details, but I have done something unforgivable. As a shinobi, we are bound to the rules. I broke those rules and now I have dishonored myself and my family. Am I something horrible for choosing my team before my mission? These days, I feel like it would be the right choice to disappear."

The girl's ears perked at his words. Disappear...? Perhaps, if she asked, he would take her with him. The male shinobi briefly looked at her, noticing the instrument strapped to her side.

"Do you play the flute?"

Akita shook her head negative. The jounin hummed in response.

"Would you like me to teach you," he offered. After a moment of consideration, she nodded. The man smiled lightly, his eyes crinkling. She quietly handed him the instrument and urged him to give her first lesson. The two stayed there until the sun had set, at which Akita stood abruptly and bowed to the nameless shinobi.

Saying goodbye, she left to go meet Fossa. Akita realized that in the time she had spent with that man, she had not once thought of him or felt the weight of everything on her chest. For that, she was grateful. After she returned from her mission, Akita vowed to make it up to Obito for her rude behavior. She also wanted to find that man again if she could. Maybe they could serve as a therapy for each other. The thought alone made Akita feel like she could survive another day.

Like always, though, anything good that came into her life tended to disappear in the most painful way possible.

Q: who do you think the man was?