Nightmare

"The nightmares are most vivid when they are about the ones you know."

//

Lena had been having recurring nightmares, again. The last time she had them this severe was when she was a child who had to watch her brother get himself twisted in depths of self destruction. The nightmares decreased over the course of a good seven years or so she thought they did. Lena had always been alone. She was used to it.

However, these past few weeks her brain had gotten the best of her, weird scenarios exhausting her fully causing her to malfunction in her daily routine. Scared out of her mind the tired CEO asked her girlfriend to stay the night in hopes of getting a good night's sleep.

Lena had not mentioned about her nightmares to Kara but she had a feeling it needed to be talked about.

"Is something wrong? You seem distant.." the blonde had inquired laying next to her with the faint moonlight illuminating the room.

Kara would wrap her arms around Lena and pull her close and for a while Lena would forget that something could ever terrify her so much as her own brain.

"I'm just tired." Lena tried to reason further snuggling into the Kryptonian's warmth as she lay her head on her chest. Feeling like she hadn't slept in weeks, Lena dozed off and the last thing on her mind was Kara going on about something at work.

Wake up.
Lena eyes fluttered open. The digital clock situated on the side table read 3:43 am. Turning her head to find herself alone in the cold bed, Lena felt a chill run through her spine.

"Kara?" Lena shakily called out.
Dead silence prevailed. She was alone. All alone. Kara's absence so clear Lena wondered if she fell asleep with her in bed at first or not at all.

Lena pinched the bridge of her nose and then her eyes travelled to Kara's wrist watch sitting on a book.

She was here.

Lena jumped out of bed to hear faint laughter. She stopped in her tracks, her throat dry and her palms sweaty.

"Catch her if you can, Lena.." a whisper echoed.

Lena turned around, her eyes frantically searching the room she stood in. All her surroundings turned to grey. So devoid of color she doesn't know what it means.

"Kara? Where are you?" Lena called out again in hopes of getting a response.

"Lena! Help me!" the familiar voice screamed from downstairs.

Lena's footsteps led her to the staircase following the voice. Her heart almost stopped in her chest by the trail of blood that followed. No, it couldn't be.
That was too much blood and it went all the way down the stairs following through the living room. With every step down Lena felt her breath further hitch in her throat as Kara's sobbing got louder.

"Where are you?" Lena screamed out.

"Where are you yourself is the real question," the devilish voice bit back at Lena with a maniacal laugh.

"You couldn't save your father, not your brother and what makes you think the next one you'll love will be safe too?" the unknown individual's voice pricked at each and every cell in Lena's body. Her legs shivered and threatened to give out soon. Lena knew she had to find Kara.

"Don't worry, I got you Kara!" Lena yelled following the bloody path.

Lena's head started to spin as the next time she heard Kara's voice it seemed as distant as ever.

"Lena, please. I'm here." Kara wailed. Now, it seemed like the voice could be heard from upstairs.

Lena's breathing got heavier and she could feel her senses fall and her body weaken.

"She'll die and it'll happen in front of you..." Lena wished she never had to hear it. Closing her ears and squeezing her eyes shut in attempts to escape the void.

Kara could hear Lena calling out to her. Her voice growing desperate with each request and Lena knew she had failed to protect the only part of her life that kept her on the brink of sanity.

"This has to be a dream..." Lena furrowed her eyebrows. It had grown to such an extent she couldn't differentiate between reality and her dreams. The only way to wake yourself up from a dream was to kill yourself. Lena had learnt that from the countless reruns of Inception.

If this was a dream, she'd be waking up. If it wasn't, she'd be making a grave mistake. Lena ran to the kitchen with the little life she had left in her and picked up the biggest knife she could see. Jabbing it into her abdomen and throwing it across the room she felt a gush of air ignite her lungs.

The next she knows is that she wakes up, breathless and sweaty. Back in her bed. It's terrifying cause' it seems like the whole incident starts from square one where she wakes up in bed. Except for this time Kara is hovering over her and the lights in the room are all on.

"Lena...I'm here." Kara tried reaching out to her companion gently. Lena recognised the same tone she had heard in her dream. It must be Kara trying to wake Lena up the whole time.

For the next two minutes, all Lena could hear was the loud beating of her heart in her chest. She could feel it hammering so hard it could explode against her ribcage any moment. Her fingers threaded with Kara's weakly.

"You're safe. You're fine." Kara coaxed as she put her head on Lena's shoulder rubbing her back.

Lena was too exhausted to respond but she appreciated Kara being there to comfort her.

Usually when Lena wakes up alone and terrified in her bed, she can't fall back asleep. She'd make coffee with heaps of spoonfuls just to keep her up and would drown herself in work, anything to avoid sleep. Kara had noticed the sudden downfall in Lena's health with her dark circles and her cheekbones protruding, she promised herself to tackle whatever bothered Lena to this extent.

"I'll get you some water." Kara whispered as she left Lena's side to get up from the bed but stopped when her wrist was caught in a grip.

"No, Kara don't. I'm fine. Just-Just don't leave the room." Lena begged her, eyes filled with fear.

"Okay I won't. Just calm down." Kara sat beside Lena. The Kryptonian hugged the Luthor back as Lena's grip on Kara's body strengthened. She was afraid of an unknown force like a small little kitten.

A part of Kara wanted to know what Lena dreamt about as she was aware of the countless times she said her name in the miserable chains of her slumber but the other decided that it's best if not talked about.

For now, the most she could do was comfort the petrified individual in her arms that that had fallen asleep after a very tough thirty minutes of fighting with her eyelids that dared to close. Kara didn't move or complain. She watched Lena sleep for the second time and this time it was more peaceful. Kara smiled slightly admiring the features of her girlfriend, her thumb slightly stroking her cheek. She didn't mind that she had to sit awake the whole night, she didn't mind at all.