Chapter: 11 (Unedited)

"Woah, finally I get to see my daughter's face. Where have you been for days, huh?" Edward asked as soon as Natalie sat for dinner.

She grinned at her father."I've been having the time of my life."

Edward noticed the glow and blush on her face. She was definitely in love, he thought.

"I can see that." He smiled at her.

Labana stared at her husband then at her daughter. She cleared her throat.

"Nat dear, where is Dave nowadays? He is never around. Do you even talk to him?"

Edward stopped chewing and looked at his daughter.

Natalie shrugged,"He is busy. He said he has to take care of some things before leaving for London."

Edward swallowed and looked at his daughter curiously.

"You aren't seeing Dave these days?"

"Dad, I called him a lot but all those calls went to voicemail. I called his home one day and Mrs. Anderson told me that he was busy these days."

"Well, you're engaged. He should take some time out for you. This is not acceptable."

Natalie just played with her food on her plate.

"So who are you hanging out with?"

Natalie met her father's eyes,"Carmine." She shrugged.

Edward looked taken aback,"You've been spending all this time with him?"

Natalie looked nervously around her," Eh... Yes?"

Edward leaned back and put back his fork and butter knife on his plate.

Natalie looked at her mother, who was staring at her food and eating quietly then she stared at her sister, who looked as if she had no problem in this world.

Natalie looked back at her father," Dad?"

Edward took a deep breath," Look Natalie, you have to acknowledge the fact that you're engaged to be married now. I do admit that Dave shouldn't ignore you like this but that does not mean you'd spend time with your best friend like that. There is a limit to everything.
We never said anything before because you were committed but as your parents, it's our duty to let you know that your relationship with Carmine could affect your relationship with Dave."

"But dad.." Edward held a hand.

"He is your best friend and you've always been like this with him. It's high time that you face the fact that a boy and a girl could not be just friends. At least not for the world."

Natalie looked down,"What are you suggesting?"

"For you and Carmine to give each other some space."

Natalie nodded.

"By the way, is there some kind of improvement?"

"Yes dad, I'm pretty sure he'll get there soon. He is remembering bits."

"That's good news."

Natalie entered her room and picked her cellphone from the side table. She had five texts from Carmine and two from Drew but none from Dave. She went through Carmine's first.

C: I'm bored. 😑

C: Would you give a homeless person CPR if he were dying? 🤔

C: All of your life, your parents have taught you. What have you taught your parents? 😎

C: Man, just reply already. 😭