Chapter 17

I don't know what happened but half of chapter 16 disappeared.  One day it was eight pages long and the next it was only four.  ????????  So anyway here's the rest of chapter 16 which will now be known as chapter 17.  And thanks to everyone who is reading.  I hope you are enjoying it.  If you feel so inclined,  I would love to have some feedback.  Please feel free to leave me a comment.  

She glared at him as she removed the ruined shirt, wadded it into a ball and angrily heaved it several feet away.   She kicked her shoes off and stepped out of her britches giving them a fling with her foot as she did so.  She may as well have been naked as she stood there in her thin camisole and bloomers.  His perverted gaze raking her up and down.   She very hurriedly pulled the dress over her head.  It was a beautiful dress her mother had made for her last summer.  The pale blue tiered skirt was made of light cotton and the white lace trimmed  bodice was made to fall off the shoulder in a cascade of ruffles.  The airy garment left her shoulders and her arms exposed and the lightweight fabric allowed the chilled evening breeze to pass straight through to her uncovered legs beneath.  She realized then she had left Joshua's coat by the river that morning.  If it got too cold tonight, she was going to be even more miserable than she was already.  

He leered  at her while she put her boots back on her socked feet.  Evie turned away from him and took refuge under Rusty's neck as he sauntered closer to her, with a leering smile on his face.  He took a strand of her hair in his vile smelling hands and rubbed it between his fingers.  "Nice.  Real nice."   He brought the hair to his nose and inhaled the scent of it.  He closed his eyes and savored the sweet aroma for a moment.  Evie shivered from revulsion.  "It sure is easy to see why that coward was anxious to save your sweet ass.  I can't blame him for wantin' to taste your wares."   He ran his putrid hand across her cheek and down to her throat.  How different this wretched low life's touch was from Joshua's.   She shrank away from his cold creepy caress.  How different it was form Joshua's gentle touch.  Joshua's touch had left a trail of fire that lingered on her skin long afterwards and left her aching and wanting to experience more.  Again the memory of her beloved Joshua and what this reprobate swine had done to him and to her family, had her anger bristling  to the point that she literally had to bite her own tongue to keep from telling him what she really thought of him.  

"And since he's done spoiled the goods, I may as well get me a little sample."   When he cupped her chin to bring her face around to his cold clammy lips, she couldn't  resist anymore.  She spun around as she slapped his stinking hands away from her face.  

"He didn't spoil anything, you idiot,"  she ground out between clenched teeth.   " I lied to you to distract you so you would leave him alone.  And you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.  He would never take advantage of a helpless grieving girl!  And now he's coming for me and hope he kills you, you filthy beast.   And if anybody's a coward it's you!  You beat a defenseless thirteen year old boy to death....."

She didn't get to finish her rant before his backhand caught her right cheek and nearly spun her around on her feet.  Her hand flew up to clutch her aching jaw.  The stinging pain made tears well up in her eyes before spilling over onto her cheeks.    She didn't have the strength to fight  as he forcefully bound her chapped wrists again.  Once they were in the saddle, he held the knife to her throat.  "You say one more word to me,  and I'll cut your tongue out.   A mute woman'll bring even more than a virgin one."  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They only had about three hours of daylight left.  Kid scanned the area where he had just dismounted.  He walked to the creek side.   "They watered the horse here.  These droppings look pretty fresh.  We can't be but about an hour behind them."  When Heyes didn't respond he looked behind him to see where his partner had gone.  He was crouched about three yards away examining something he'd picked up from the ground.