Chapter 34

"Are you gonna let me in on it or not?"  Kid asked his partner who rode along beside him on the back of Odin the big black stallion. 

"Let you in on what?"   Heyes asked turning briefly in the saddle to check on the pinto he was leading by rein.

"What ever it is that's got you grinning like the cat who just ate the canary."

"Can't a man be happy and smile about it without you thinking he's keeping something from you?"

"This is me you're talking to Heyes.  I know when you're not telling me everything.  So out with it."

 When Heyes just shook his head in amusement and continued to smile silently, Kid knew what was going on.  "Well it don't take a genius to figure it out.  It happened didn't it?  I knew it.  I knew if you two rode out alone together you'd give in.  I can't believe you, Heyes,"  Kid said in a disapproving tone.

"Me?  Look who's talking.  If you and Livvy get anymore fresh air you're both gonna leave the rest of us choking from lack of oxygen."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kid replied, his innocent act less than convincing.

"This is me your talking to Kid.  I always know what you're doing and who you're doing it to.  You and Livvy have been foolin' around for weeks now.  Don't deny it."

"Alright, I admit it.  But she's a grown woman.  And she's not a virgin one either.  But then again neither is Evie anymore I take it."

 Heyes wasn't going to answer that question.  A gentleman never kissed and told. But his silence spoke volumes.

"I sure hope Mr. Peterson and his son will be happy with this pinto,"  he changed the subject.

"Uh huh.  That's what I thought,"  Kid replied,  taking his partners unanswer for the affirmative answer he was looking for. He didn't say anymore about it.  He just let his partner keep smiling while he rode along on the back of the powerful black stallion.

If anybody had a right to smile it was him.  Heyes couldn't remember being this happy before in his life.   He'd promised Evie he'd come to her room last night and he'd stealthily climbed through her window around one am.  He hadn't left until five am.  He had not wanted to leave her then.  He had wanted to stay and just hold her and watch her sleep.  But he knew that wasn't a good idea.  So he had kissed her on the forehead and left her sleeping.  He hadn't seen her yet today.  She was sleeping in no doubt.  He was going on two hours of sleep himself but he wasn't complaining.  He was too happy to need sleep.  When he'd crawled in his bunk  in the early morning hours to the sound of Kid's light rhythmic snores, he'd lain there for a while and he'd made a decision.  He'd decided he didn't care anymore about the amnesty .  Evie's trust fund was gong to change everything.  Just like she had said, they could disappear to anywhere they wanted.  They could build an impenetrable fortress if they wanted.  And with that promise of stability in their future there was no reason he couldn't marry her.  To heck with hand fasting.  He was buying her a ring  as soon as possible and then he'd get in contact with their old friend Preacher and he would marry them.  He was after all an honest to goodness ordained minister of the gospel.  Albeit one who drank like a fish and dallied in any number of illegal activities.  But still a minister none the less.   And he wouldn't have to use his alias.  He could marry her as Hannibal Heyes.  Evie would be Mrs. Hannibal Heyes.  His smile just kept getting bigger and bigger.   

"Kid, I've got some news to tell you."

"Aw no.  Don't tell there really is a shotgun wedding in the immediate future."

"Will you shut up?  It's the best news we've had in a long time.  Maybe ever."

"Well, what is it?"

"In two years Evie will be twenty-one."

"Yeah, so?  What's news about that?"

"When she turns twenty-one she can start using a trust fund that her grandfather started for her."   Heyes came to a stop when Kid halted his mount.  "It's worth seventy-five thousand."

Kid's eyes nearly bugged out of his head. "Did you say, seventy-five thousand?"  He whistled low and long.

"Yep.  With that kind of money we can disappear to wherever we want until the whole world forgets who Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry ever were.  And with that in mind I've made a decision.  I am going to marry Evie.  As soon as possible.  I admit it, we got a whole lot closer to each other last night.  As close as two people can get.  And I did sneak into her room last  night and it just about killed me to have to leave her this morning.  I don't want to leave her anymore.  I want to go to sleep beside her and wake up next to her.  I'm going to try and find out where Preacher is and have him come out and marry us.  He's the only one who can marry  us using my real name."

"You won't have to search too far, Heyes.  It was supposed to be a surprise but I may as well tell you.  When I told Livvy that we had an old friend who was an ordained minister, she insisted that I find him and have him come out to officiate over the ceremony.  He'll be here on the stage tomorrow at noon."

Heyes smiled at the thought of seeing his old friend and former Devil's Hole gang member again.  And he laughed out loud when he realized he wouldn't have to wait to marry Evie.  This day was just getting better and better.  "Looks like I'd best be buying a ring today then."

They arrived in town mid morning and headed straight for the blacksmith's.  They were puzzled when they found the place empty.  No fire going in the forge.  They had brought many horses here to be shod since they'd been wrangling the mustangs and old Mr. Boone was always in his shop early.   The two walked over  to the livery stables and asked the stable master if he knew where Mr. Boone, the old blacksmith was.

"He fell from the hayloft in his barn yesterday morning.  Busted his leg and a couple of ribs.  Doc has laid him up for quite a spell.  I went over to see him this morning and he said to tell any body that came asking that they should take their business to Cold Springs.  There's a young fella over there that just took over as the town smithy.   He said the fella calls hisself Shep."

"What should we do, Heyes?  If we start for Cold Springs now it'll be dark by the time we get back."

"Yeah, and the girls will be worried sick wondering where we are."

"Oh, shoot.  There's that barn dance tonight too.  Livvy'll skin me alive if I don't take her."

"I guess we'll just have to leave early in the morning and ride into Cold Springs.  What choice do we have if we want to get this pony shod by Monday?"

"I guess Cold Springs in the morning it is then.  Let's get back to the ranch.  I didn't get to see Livvy this morning before I left and you know, Heyes,  I miss her.  I feel like something's been missing from my morning.  And it's seeing her face."

Heyes cracked a big old grin.  "Well, now.  You wouldn't be gettin' interested in more than just sharing fresh air with the lady would you?"

"I don't know, Heyes.  There's just something about her that fits me you know?"

"Oh, yeah.  Believe me I know.  Evie was still asleep when we left this morning and I didn't get to see her either.  If I could have gotten past Georgia I would have went in her room and woke her up just so I could see her face and hear her voice before I left."

"What's happened to us, Heyes?"  Kid asked with a slow, puzzled shake of his head.

"I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, Kid.  We're turning into family men."

"Hadn't we oughta go see about that ring before we start talkin' about families?"

Heyes placed an affectionate hand on his partner's shoulder as they headed down the street towards the jewelers.  Both with big smiles on their faces.  Both anxious to get home to see a lady.